Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIT EV In the Snow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:31 am 

I live in upstate NY and should be receiving delivery of my FIT EV in about 6 months. I was wondering if anyone knew how they handle in the snow and how the charge is when the temperature is below 20 degrees? My job has an open parking lot so the car will be exposed to the elements all day long and sometimes the temperatures here can fall below 0 for weeks at a time.

My commute is only about 16 miles each way so i believe i should be good.

Thanks

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

Post subject: Re: FIT EV In the Snow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 am 

MZX wrote:
I live in upstate NY and should be receiving delivery of my FIT EV in about 6 months. I was wondering if anyone knew how they handle in the snow and how the charge is when the temperature is below 20 degrees? My job has an open parking lot so the car will be exposed to the elements all day long and sometimes the temperatures here can fall below 0 for weeks at a time.

My commute is only about 16 miles each way so i believe i should be good.

Thanks

MZX, I can't say for sure since I don't have one, however I'm in the same boat as you. I live in western NY and winter can be a bear. I'm looking to lease for my wife who has a 17 mile all highway commute. The only things I'm worried about are a) if using the heater liberally ( as I know my wife will ) - how much is range cut. b) How much will range suffer in the single digits. My hope is that A+B does not cut the range to less than 34 miles. If it does then she'll get the Volt and i'll drive the Fit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Moderator

I think all of us in the Northeast are going to be testing this for Honda... that's part of the plan, right? Here in Boston we don't get quite the same extremes, but we can count on a couple of cold snaps (3-5 days) each year with temperatures at or just above zero.

The Toshiba SCiB batteries in the Fit EV have a stated operating range that goes all the way down to 22 below zero (and all the way up to 131 above) so they should be fine. From what I've read elsewhere, the combination of cold + defroster + more use of headlights etc. can cut the range down to the 40-50 mile range.

I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that similar concerns were all around me when I bought my Jetta Diesel four years ago. It's started right up in temperatures as low as 13 below zero (and at altitude too - this was at Jay Peak, VT).

We shall see... and keep that number handy for Cross Country and/or AAA! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 pm 

This will be the million dollar question and probably one of the big reasons us East Coasters were added to the list of states that can get this car. We shall see... I have a 10-17 mile highway commute myself depending on the route

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:12 pm 

Our weather here in Maryland is not nearly as cold as you guys have it in New York or Boston but I thought I would share my experiences here during the winter in my Nissan Leaf. We just got our Fit EV in June so I am wondering how that will be affected myself. As for the Leaf my range was cut down in winter from about 80-90 to about 40-50. Much depends on the way you drive the car. With the Leaf if I drive in ECO and keep my speed down I can get about 50 miles in the winter. Using the heater in the Leaf also cuts down range but I'm hoping that won't be as much of a problem in the Fit EV. I remember freezing last winter when the range started getting really low and I cut the heater off to save the range. I've never run out of range although I've gotten really really low by the time I got to my home. We don't have a garage so both cars are parked in the driveway. No problems at all charging last winter or running the charger in the snow (I have to admit we haven't gotten much snow the last couple of years). My experience with the Fit EV so far has been great. I get more range with the Fit that with the Leaf. I can go 100 miles in the Fit and I love the different modes of driving. It seems more like a sports car where my Leaf seems more like the lower but steady family car. We also have a Honda CRV which we haven't used much until recently when we drove it on vacation. Hope my experiences help.

2013 Honda Fit EV #303 delivered June 8, 2013 (Mine)
2006 Honda CR-V (Long Trips-doesn't get much use)

2011 Nissan Leaf delivered May 31, 2011 (Husband's) - Traded in July 2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:57 am 

Yes we are the testers for the winter in the northeast. I'm in Orange County, NY and commute 35 miles each way to Paramus, NJ. There are charging stations at work, outside but covered at least. At home the Fit will be outside as well. We get very cold nights in the winter at home. I'm confident I'll make it to work in the winter, but perhaps not by much!

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

Last edited by Dtomko on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Moderator

Bonus points to whoever is first to post some pictures of their FEV in the snow. :mrgreen:

This is my friend Scott Marks' Nissan Leaf. I look forward to capturing images like this with my Fit EV. I Googled "Fit EV in the snow" and there isn't a single snow picture on the internet yet! That will change. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 am 

Dtomko wrote:
Yes we are the testers for the winter in the northeast. I'm in Orange County, NY and commute 35 miles each way to Paramus, NJ. There are charging stations at work, outside but covered at least. At home the Fit will be outside as well. We get very cold nights in the winter at home. I'm confident I'll make it to work in the winter, but perhaps not by much!

Well, nobody has followed up on this thread, but the couple times I've been out in the snow I gotta say it's pretty bad. I think it's fair to blame the tires - if you were willing to degrade the already terrible winter range by putting snow tires on I bet it would be fine, but as it is it's not very good in the snow IMHO. Of course, my ICE is a Subaru STi with dedicated snow tires, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled, but I was out in one storm and by the time there was an inch of (wet, slick) snow, I had my doubts about being able to make it home without getting stuck or sliding off the road…

Is there such a thing as a low rolling resistance snow tire? :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a low rolling resistance snow tire?

There actually is! Search for "Nokian" and/or see the bottom of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=430

Then say "thanks" to Mike for all the research! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 pm 

It's not great in the snow with the standard tires; that's for sure. I took it out locally when the streets were still covered and skidded a bunch. I've been limited in my driving with the frigid temperatures and storms. The snow is less of a concern for me because the roads are usually cleared quickly and heavily salted. With only a three year lease I'm not willing to buy rims and snow tires, though.

Drew

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13