Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering returning Fit EV to Honda
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:20 am 

I leased mine on June 1, 2013. Have been generally happy with it overall, but my 60 miles round trip commute has become absolutely miserable with this car over the last several months. The range is just crap on this car if you have ANY weather where temps are lower than 50 degrees, or if there's any wind, rain, etc. I hypermile every day back and forth to work and I just barely make it home, usually with 5% to 10% battery left. That is 60 miles round trip (20 miles of that is in stop and go traffic on the Richmond Parkway). I go no faster than 60 mph on the freeway. I never use the defrost or heater (if I did I wouldn't make it back and forth to work on a single charge). Instead of taking me 30 minutes each way before driving the Fit EV, I now have to spend at least 45 minutes each way. I've been fighting with the building landlord at my workplace to install any kind of EVSE or even a simple outdoor 120 volt outlet, but they've made it clear it will not happen.

I would say the actual range on this car going normal speeds on the freeway (65mph to 70 mph) is at most 62 miles of real range, since the last time I did my commute going normal speeds, I got home with 1% battery remaining. If this car starts to get kind of battery degradation like what I've heard with the Nissan Leaf, I am screwed.

I just honestly thought if I learned how to drive this car efficiently, I could make it work. But not only does it feel dangerous driving on Interstate 80 going under 60mph, it also is dangerous not being able to use the defrost on days where it rains.

Sorry for the ramble, but I am beyond being frustrated and ready to give the car back to Honda. I just wondered if anyone else here as done the same, what the process is like. What all would I have to return if I were to give the car back? I would have to repay the $2500 to CARB, would I also have to give back the Leviton level 2 EVSE I had installed in my garage? Also, I wondered if it would be possible to transfer the lease to someone here on this forum that is on the wait list. Probably not based on that ridiculous contract I signed.

My company is relocating next year to a new building 5 miles further away than my current building, which would mean my 60 mile roundtrip commute will now be a 70 mile roundtrip commute. When that happens it will be impossible to get back and worth to work on a single charge.

And to anyone commenting saying "why don't you use public chargers", well there simply aren't any where I work in Fairfield, CA. Since I purchased my car last June, there has not been a single new charger installed along my commute or anywhere in Fairfield. I used to use the ones at the local community college which was only 5 miles from my work, but now they're always full with Leaf's and f*cking plug-in priuses and volts. And many of the chargepoint ones I would go to near my house have now been "privatized", meaning they were public but are now for "employees only". So instead of seeing more charging stations, I'm actually seeing less than when I started. And I live in the SF bay area. Its ridiculous that more chargers are not being installed anywhere around here. Maybe its just my situation, but my frustration with a lack of a decent charging infrastructure and an ever increasing number of new plug-in hybrid cars clearly has me ready to throw in the towel with EV's.

Post subject: Re: Considering returning Fit EV to Honda
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm 

I think infrastructure cost money and takes planning... driving a Fit EV is a unique way to travel. I get my lease next month, and I look forward to problem solving to make this work.

One idea I have is to use RainX on the exterior glass, and FogX on the inside. I used this stuff on my Jetta, and never had to use the wipers even during a heavy down pour. Also it reduced the amount of time i had to use the defroster.

A 5$ bottle of 'juice' is something im willing to try. I am also considering performance options to help my range.
I am thinking to go with lightweight mag wheels - http://www.mackin-ind.com/portfolio/te37/
It is a considerable amount of investment on my part, but if I were to get 1-2 more miles range, it will be worth it. For my type of driving (Los Angeles Traffic), Having car-pool HOV sticker is very much worth the 3000$ I will spend on the wheels. When I dont drive a FIT EV anymore, I can alway sell off the Volk TE37 to another EV Driver.

Basically these wheels are almost half the weight of the factory FIT EV wheels. (FIT EV 7.48 kg)
I think the weight savings and less rotating inertia Might be better than having the balance of mid-weight factory wheels for regen-braking. Of course at the expense of my wallet.

Good thing Volk wheels retain a good portion of their value. Im pretty sure with minor wear and tear, and factoring the wheels wont get stolen, you could get back 600-1000 for used wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:14 pm 

That is a bummer. I have a round-trip commute of 50 miles and the only reason it works is because I live in San Diego. Even when the temperature drops down to 50, I notice a difference in how much juice I am using. It can't be any fun constantly worrying about whether or not you are going to be stranded on the side of the road.

I don't ever use the heat, and only use the defroster sparingly, which is kind of bizarre when you think about it. Luckily for me, I can just wear a jacket and it is fine. This is an incredibly advanced automobile which also mimics what it must have been like to drive around in the early part of the 20th century. (Bundling up to get in the car, worrying about range, etc.) I feel for the people trying to drive this thing back east.

Once this lease is done, I am almost certain I will get another EV. For me, it works. But if you haven't leased it yet, you have to honestly ask yourself whether or not your circumstances work. Range matters. Air temperature matters. Speed matters. Not being able to charge the battery quickly matters. Do you like hypermiling? Or, (like me) do you just want a car that can get you where you need to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:57 pm 

I can't comment on the reduced range issue, but as a get-around, see if there's any possibility you could get your employer to install a 220 V outlet. Then, get a portable Level 2 charger (I use an Aerovironment TurboCord) and charge up at work.

It should be much easier and cheaper for the company to put in a simple 220 outlet than to install a complete EVSE. Plus you won't end up competing with someone else for access to charging.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Moderator

Now that's a fantastic idea!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 pm 

Early in our "EV adventure" I used to loathe the EREVs (Volts) and PHEVs that were "preventing" me from getting the charge I "need". It took a little while to realize that public EVSEs are public and just because I brought a knife to a gun-fight (or didn't bring enough vehicle for my trip) doesn't disqualify them from charging.

Our experience is also ~60 miles of range from an absolutely full battery with cautious freeway driving (nearly deadly as driving at or near the speed limit may cause your death). Almost any trip is driving from plug to plug, with quite a number of hours here and there at scenic EVSEs to "get a boost" in order to get to my destination.

After 20K miles, while it's a fun toy and a cheap car, I've settled on the theory it's an NEV on steroids, and not real transportation. Our next vehicle will be a hated EREV or PHEV.

I drove a Plug-in Prius the other day, the indicator showed range over 500 miles. Case closed. I guess the "charge" time for that would be 10 minutes (at a gas pump) every 8 days (8 * 60 = 480).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 pm 

I've even gone so far as to offer to pay for a 110 volt outlet in the parking lot at my office. My company leases our office space from some extremely tightwad conservative landlords. They have flat our refused to pay for any added cost for almost every request our company had made to them over the last 5 years. Its part of the reason my company is moving to another location in a year or two. Unfortunately for me, the new location will be another 5 miles further away from to my current 30 mile drive to work. We'll be buying that building and so we'll be able to install anything we want. But for the next year or so, I'm stuck with no charging option within 5 miles of my office complex, and all public stations are full these days like I've mentioned.

I'm really curious if anyone else on these forums has been in a similar situation and returned the car to Honda or transferred the lease to another individual. Any feedback out there?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:00 pm 

I know I've seen something about returning the car to Honda somewhere on the forum a while ago. Actually this is the first time I've been on the forum myself in months. If I remember right I don't think Honda will take the car back unless you are moving to a different area. I also remember someone complaining because they could not even transfer the car to someone who wants one. Hopefully this has changed.

2013 Honda Fit EV #303 delivered June 8, 2013 (Mine)
2006 Honda CR-V (Long Trips-doesn't get much use)

2011 Nissan Leaf delivered May 31, 2011 (Husband's) - Traded in July 2014

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:06 pm 
Site Moderator

Diane0813 wrote:
Actually this is the first time I've been on the forum myself in months.
Nice to have you back here Diane. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Moderator

blownb310 wrote:
Diane0813 wrote:
Actually this is the first time I've been on the forum myself in months.
Nice to have you back here Diane. :)

+1 to that! Missed your nice posts.