Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Range
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am 

I'm considering leasing one of these cars. I do live in NY and have a 58 mile one way trip. I have a heated garage at home to charge and a charging station at my job. My question is, If I charge at home indoors and find I have let's say 75 miles available, and its 5 degrees outside does the cold weather affect the range?

Post subject: Re: Range
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 am 

The only 100% battery car that will work for your situation is the Tesla.

Otherwise think plug-in, EREV, or REx (i3?). There is an outside chance the upcoming Soul EV or Mercedes "B" might cut it, but doubt it very much (this assumes Level 2 charging at work).

Given the experience of others on this forum, with the Fit EV @ 5 degrees, you would likely see an estimated range of <20, but might actually get 30-35 (not that anybody has really tested that). YMMV is definitely an understatement.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:51 pm 

jcunningham wrote:
If I charge at home indoors and find I have let's say 75 miles available, and its 5 degrees outside does the cold weather affect the range?

Firstly, if you are just now considering leasing a FEV, and you're not already on a dealer's waitlist, chances of you getting one are slim to nil.

And aside from battery charging, cold weather does reduce your range: cold air is denser than warm air, so it takes more energy to move the car. Also, as daylight hours are fewer, you will use the headlights more often (more energy consumption).

And we won't even begin to discuss using the heater. If you have a 58 mile trip and it's 5°F outside, you will definitely need to use some heat (... to avoid frostbite ;) ).

For your situation my choice would be a Volt or a BMW i3 (but that i3 is expensive... :shock: ).

2014 Honda Fit EV #30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:31 pm 

OK thanks for the sound advice. I'm on the waiting list. I may just use the car around the neighborhood on short trips. The lease is a good deal...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:50 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
And we won't even begin to discuss using the heater

Wait... The Fit EV has a heater?

Oh, right - that's the thing you can't use when you really need it, right? :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 pm 

igbright wrote:
Quote:
And we won't even begin to discuss using the heater

Wait... The Fit EV has a heater?

Oh, right - that's the thing you can't use when you really need it, right? :D

Hahaha!!! :lol: ... only a Fit EV owner living in a cold climate can truly appreciate the reality of that comment ... so true!!

2014 Honda Fit EV #30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 am 

Yes, well insulated driving clothes have become a bit more of a necessity!

The heated garage will help with range, but as others have said, it's unlikely the FEV will make your work commute in very cold weather. I do think I was overly cautious this winter - I didn't attempt my 35 mile commute unless it was over 10 degrees. I think I could have made it down to about 8 - maybe :shock:

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 pm 

To be perfectly blunt the Fit EVs have a typical range of only around 40 miles in cold weather. Assuming that most people would like to get home with around 10 miles on the range meter, plus want to use the heater, lights, etc., to have a pleasant trip which will additionally impact range somewhat, I think 25-30 miles might be a safe range estimate in cold climates. It is amazing to me that the various manufacturers are silent on this reality of physics in their range advertising unnecessarily leading to needless frustration and anguish for a few users. I am not an attorney, but it seems to me that advertising only the optimum summer day range borders on fraudulent. However, I personally am quite able to cope with range issues and perfectly content with with my little blue car. I know where the public recharge stations are if I need a little boost to get home, and I use them from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:11 pm 

I live in southern CA, so I don't worry about sub-freezing temps. I think the Southwest is the place for EV's at this stage of their development. And maybe some of the Southeast. I don't think they should even offer them in areas that have cold winters.

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:54 pm 

That is the same exact experience I've had over this past winter. My commute is 20 miles round trip so it doesn't affect me at all. Work does also have a charger so if I do a few errands during lunch I can top off.

Potatochip wrote:
To be perfectly blunt the Fit EVs have a typical range of only around 40 miles in cold weather. Assuming that most people would like to get home with around 10 miles on the range meter, plus want to use the heater, lights, etc., to have a pleasant trip which will additionally impact range somewhat, I think 25-30 miles might be a safe range estimate in cold climates. It is amazing to me that the various manufacturers are silent on this reality of physics in their range advertising unnecessarily leading to needless frustration and anguish for a few users. I am not an attorney, but it seems to me that advertising only the optimum summer day range borders on fraudulent. However, I personally am quite able to cope with range issues and perfectly content with with my little blue car. I know where the public recharge stations are if I need a little boost to get home, and I use them from time to time.

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13