Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Range
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:36 am 

Hello, first post here.
I guess we will be testing the limits of the Fits cold weather usefulness when we see those cold days here in NJ. We took delivery about a month ago today and have enjoyed the 2,300+gas free miles so far. The car sees about a 96 mile round trip commute to work (48 miles each way, comprised of approx 40 freeway, 8 city). Using the level 2 at home and the supplied Honda Level 1 at work for 8 hours. The commute ranges from 1hr 15mins to 1hr 30mins pending traffic conditions. We had kept the other vehicle Honda Oddesey (broken AC) just for the cold weather insurance. Plan on trying out a 12v portable heater/defroster with a portable portapower/battery jumper box if it will extend the range by not using the FITS heater. By reading these type of post though..it looks like the backup car will be used quite a bit and the Fit have to stay very local. That will work for us...maximizing the fuel and maintance savings as many days of the year as possible.

2014 Honda Fit EV #433 (since 7/27/14)
2010 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins TD 4x4 Auto 3.73 gears
2005 Honda Oddesey vtec
2010 Evergreen Everlite 31RLS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:31 am 

I have been monitoring this website since last summer and took delivery of my Fit EV in April of this year. I read about all the pain EV owners went thru with last years' winter before i decided to sign on the dotted line. 2013 owners, your sacrifice did not go unnoticed.

Having said that, I have made every effort thruought this spring/summer to tweak my routes to gain the most regen in preparation for the cold season. I have about a 24 mile commute round trip to work and a 48 to 50 mile round trip commute to church and i will be using the heat.

So I thought I would share what i have found so far.
1. - Get in the habbit of driving in B mode. If you haven't driven in B mode yet, it is what is called "single pedal driving" and you get the most regen out of the car. Single pedal driving because as you let up on the accelerator, the car will slow down drasticly but you are putting a lot more electricity back into the battery packs then when driving in D mode.
2. - Find routes that have a lot of hills and start/stops. - Highways are not effecient for EV's and are just a constant drain on the bettery. With my ICE vehicle, I take the highway to and from work which is 19 miles each way. I can get to work in 20 minutes. With the Fit, I drive thru the city, going no faster than 40 mph on my route. It is only 12 miles but takes me about 45 minutes to get to work.

Using 1 and 2, I have been able to get to work with anywhere from 85-89% battery remaining, and to church with 75% remaining.

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 am 

Nice advice, but thought I'd throw in my two cents (I'm actually lucky if I can get that much for my opinion!)
MZX wrote:
1. - Get in the habbit of driving in B mode. If you haven't driven in B mode yet, it is what is called "single pedal driving" and you get the most regen out of the car. Single pedal driving because as you let up on the accelerator, the car will slow down drasticly but you are putting a lot more electricity back into the battery packs then when driving in D mode.
Mostly true.
From others experience "B" mode seems to give somewhere around 3% greater range. Not sure I'd call that drastic, but everything helps. My theory is that regen using the motor is slightly more efficient that using the brakes (one less system in play, and I'm not sure that the rear drums contribute any regen at all).
MZX wrote:
2. - Find routes that have a lot of hills and start/stops. - Highways are not effecient for EV's and are just a constant drain on the bettery. With my ICE vehicle, I take the highway to and from work which is 19 miles each way. I can get to work in 20 minutes. With the Fit, I drive thru the city, going no faster than 40 mph on my route. It is only 12 miles but takes me about 45 minutes to get to work.
Only sort of true.
Hills and start stops will actually decrease the cars efficiency. Regen will NEVER recapture 100%. This is even more of a factor in the cold (more on that later). The gain you are seeing is from the lower speed.
There are lots of tips on the web if you search for "hypermiling", but a steady speed with little to no use of the brakes (or lifting the throttle for regen) is by far the most efficient way to drive any vehicle. Those wishing to squeeze every mile out of their "tank" usually prefer a "coast" mode to engine braking/regen.
On the Fit EV regen and cold weather - you won't get nearly as much. When the batteries are cold (and the Fit does not have a battery warmer as part of it's thermal management), they just won't accept as much juice. You'll notice that in "B" mode or on the brakes, the regen needle will only move a small amount (it gradually increases as you drive the car). You may also notice this when the batteries/outside temps are hot, but to a lesser degree.
With the small(ish) 20kWh battery, the Fit relies heavily on it's superior regen to achieve it's range. When conditions reduce the regen efficiency, it's range suffers (more than cars with less efficient regen).
If you can, keep your car in a garage and use preconditioning. Keep us posted once the weather turns, but in really cold weather you may need Plan B (not just "B" mode).

2014 #262

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:58 pm 
Site Moderator

Very well said Gary.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 am 

This isn't news - if you need (more) cold weather range, use the seat heater(s), not the cabin heater. Also limit the use of that cabin heater for 'defrost'. Many of us have found that cold outside air on the inside of the windshield will also clear the fog. A firmed of mine swears he has a breathing technique which minimizes the window fogging :-) .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 am 

So, in the winter, is the PRE-conditioning (aka.heater) for comfort or will it extend the range by getting the electrons moving in the battery prior to setting off for the commute?
If we are going all out for winter range do I bother with any acessories (unless absolutely necessary) or simply drive without the comfort? I plan on trying out the 12v porta power battery jumper with a portable 12v dash defroster/heater as an experiment. We do have the B plan..the 19.5./20mpg.. minivan..

2005 Honda Oddesey vtec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:30 am 

For comfort.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 am 

Preconditioning is for comfort.
Using a plug-in defroster will still use electricity - you'll have to experiment to see if it is more or less efficient than using the car's defroster.

As a side note, the Mercedes B-Class offers a $600 "Range Extender" package that includes a heated windshield (along with more roof insulation and a button that allows for deeper charge and discharge of the battery -for occasional use only).

2014 #262

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm 

DucRider wrote:
Preconditioning is for comfort.
Using a plug-in defroster will still use electricity - you'll have to experiment to see if it is more or less efficient than using the car's defroster.

As a side note, the Mercedes B-Class offers a $600 "Range Extender" package that includes a heated windshield (along with more roof insulation and a button that allows for deeper charge and discharge of the battery -for occasional use only).

I will be using a portable rechargeable power source similiar to this product here but with higher ratings
http://m.target.com/p/wagan-900-amp-bat ... 7AodiEwAzQ

so it will not be drawing current from the Fit EV. I will be borrowing the portable 12v defroster/heater/defogger from my brother..so I will have to wait until he drops it off to experiment
Probably something similiar to

http://tweetys.com/ceramicheater12v200w ... 7AodgXgAcA

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/roadpro ... 7AodA3UA2Q

2005 Honda Oddesey vtec