Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So I started to drive off while still plugged in
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm 

It was a busy day and I loaded some things into the back seat which meant I had to open the driver side door to unlock the back door(not a fan of the door locks). In my haste- I hopped in forgetting I had plugged in between trips (I don't usually do that) and as the car started to coast down the the driveway it came to an unhappy stop. So I had not unplugged from the levitron! Yikes! No warning! No beeping alarm! What the heck! My handy husband worked all afternoon to repair the damage to the levitron plug in unit and it worked for a couple of days. But I asked myself- why did the car allow me to do such a stupid thing! Went out tonight- plugged into the 110 charger- it would not shift out of park- it was warning me to unplug. I could not possibly have moved. I set the key on both drive and accessory- no way I could shift out of park! Sorry for the long post but I did think that if were easy to this- others would have done so before me. Not sure what happened that unlucky day- I did order a new cable from levitron tonight. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: So I started to drive off while still plugged in
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:34 am 

When I took initial delivery of the car, it was plugged in and charging at the dealer. One thing the dealer showed me is that the car will not let you take it out of park when it is plugged in. The display also alerts you to unplug. It sounds like you found a loop hole in the cars logic. Something you did alowed the car to be taken out of park with it still plugged in bypassing some of the safety messures.

You might want to see if you can get the car to do it again and then report your steps to Honda. I don't know if unlocking the doors did it or not.
Thanks for sharing.

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:11 am 

As stated by MZK, the car will (should?) not let you get out of park while plugged in. When I have forgotton, the car will not "start" and I get the "Please Unplug" warning on the dash.

You can either press the unlock button twice on the remote to unlock all doors (and the hatch), or you can set it unlock all the doors with one push.

Use the buttons (and paddle behind them to select/enter) on the lower right of the steering wheel to customize your settings

Select: Customize Settings -> Change Settings -> Door Setup -> Door Lock Mode -> All Doors

See page 89 of the manual for more info if needed

Hope this helps - and definitely get it checked by the dealer as it should not let you move the car at all if it is plugged in.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 pm 

Thanks for the responses. I will plug in the old levitron and see if the car will move out of park. I will also work on setting the lock options again! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:08 pm 
Site Moderator

theresau wrote:
the car started to coast down the the driveway it came to an unhappy stop. So I had not unplugged from the Leviton!
Theresau, when you say "the car started to coast" do you mean that you were able to pull the shifter out of park and the car moved under it's own power, or did the call simply roll down the sloped driveway via gravity? Was it making the warning tone as it usually does under 12 mph?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 pm 

The driveway has a very slight downward slope. The car was definitely shifted to reverse. I can't say if the engine was running for sure because I have coasted out of the driveway a couple of times with the key only in the accessory position but shifted into reverse. I plugged the old levitron in tonight and got the warning light to unplug and there was no way to move the shifter out of park. So I don't know how the system didn't work the only time I ever did such dumb thing.