Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honda announces new EV by 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:04 am 

Tagged onto FCV announcement:
http://insideevs.com/honda-announces-upcoming-electric-phev-model-debuting-fcv-concept/

“In an effort to ensure Honda’s environmental vehicles remain strong competitors and provide a new sales-volume pillar, the company will offer several next-generation, advanced powertrain vehicles, including a new battery-electric model and plug-in hybrid model by 2018.”

2014 #262

Post subject: Re: Honda announces new EV by 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:01 pm 
Site Moderator

Wow, didn't see that coming! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 pm 
Site Moderator

Yeah, but... By then (or well before then) I think I'll switch to a manufacturer that has shown real commitment to EVs, and Honda really hasn't. By 2018, there will be plenty of options, including the Chevy Bolt (assuming they decide to sell it), the next-gen LEAF, and maybe- just maybe - even the Tesla Model 3, all at presumably attractive prices and with much longer range.

From what I read (maybe even in the same article on InsideEVs?), Honda is probably only doing this because they are not going to meet California mandates with their (now-delayed) next-gen fuel-cell car.

I'll keep the FEV until a better (which means, primarily, a longer-range) option comes up, but I don't see another Honda BEV in my future. Then again, Honda might come up with another fire-sale lease, who knows... Still three years away!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:45 pm 

I too expect the EV landscape to be very different in 2-3 years. When the lease is over on the Fit, I'll examine the options and decide whether to extend or go with another option. t some point, I'd like to actually purchase a car (in most cases, I consider leasing to be a poor choice financially).

2014 #262

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:52 am 

More on next BEV from Honda.

Quote:
“We are also working to advance electrified vehicles to meet the diverse needs and wants of environmentally conscious customers. We are developing an entirely new generation of vehicles starting from the introduction in 2016 of our next-generation fuel cell vehicle. This will be followed by an all-new battery electric model and the all-new plug-in hybrid model.

So, Honda is committed to offering vehicles with best-in-class fuel economy today through a new generation of powertrain technology. We’re developing an entire new generation of electrified vehicles that will continue our leadership tomorrow. And in the process we are creating the strongest and most balanced vehicle lineup in our history.

We remain committed to our vision for more sustainable mobility, and we are excited to be introducing a fantastic lineup of products that are more fun and more fuel efficient than ever before.”

It looks like the fuel cell & electric will be a new model and not a reworked ICE.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:13 pm 

DucRider wrote:
I too expect the EV landscape to be very different in 2-3 years. When the lease is over on the Fit, I'll examine the options and decide whether to extend or go with another option. t some point, I'd like to actually purchase a car (in most cases, I consider leasing to be a poor choice financially).

I used to think that too, but the Fed's zero-percent interest policy, fast EV innovation, and the way sales taxes work on car purchases vs leases in California have changed my mind. Now maybe the first two will not be true in three years - we will see!

2013 Fit EV #151, delivered 11/17/12 (30K mi)
2011 Nissan LEAF, delivered 9/11/11 (27K mi)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:17 pm 

Sigh. Even my two-year FEV lease *extension* will be over by the beginning of 2018. And of course no details on range, price, or vehicle type in the teaser. Seems silly for any car vendor to *not* promise a really cool EV by 2018, regardless of whether they actually plan to deliver.

In any case, the fact that a new Honda BEV is coming is no surprise, since we heard all about that at the FEV owner's event a few months back. Since we were asked to provide input on the details of the new BEV, it was pretty clear that this new offering wasn't going to come within a year or two.

2013 Fit EV #151, delivered 11/17/12 (30K mi)
2011 Nissan LEAF, delivered 9/11/11 (27K mi)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 pm 

I'll be driving a used Tesla S85D by 2018.

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:05 am 

Clarity looks decent. They have moved the time line up from 2018 which I think was necessary. The fact they haven't announced the battery range yet to me leads me to think that they are under 200 at the moment and need to work ASAP to get it above that mark before they can announce...

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287