Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should i Lease Honda FITEV Preowned
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm 

Hi Honda Fit owners,

Please suggest me. I am planning to lease preowned Honda Fit EV 2014 for 199/month for 2 years with unlimited mileage. I commute daily 70 Miles one way and i want use Honda Fit for my daily commute. As experienced owners could you please let me know if i get 70 miles one way or not. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Should i Lease Honda FITEV Preowned
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 am 

Need more information, such as where you live and what type of roads your 70 miles one way commute would be on.

If you live in the cold Northeast, commute mostly above 55MPH on a highway or if you don't have a place to charge at work, than no you shouldn't.
Also, because that's right around the max range I wouldn't count on either running the heat or AC.

If you have a level 2 charger at work and own a garage to install a level 2 at home and can manage staying around 55 mph than it's doable.
With a 70 miles commute one way I'd personally be looking at other options.

Just as an FYI, I live in NJ and commute 16 miles one way and during the winter range my Fit EV range can become an issue if it drops below 30.
I don't have a level 2 at work, so my effective range for my commute is 32 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 am 
Site Moderator

I would advise against it. That's too many miles to make every day. Wait for the Ioniq electric to come out and get the 'unlimited' lease option if you are in CA. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... tion-model

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 am 

Thanks for your advise..i live in northern California and my commute is completely on highway without traffic...i will setup level 2 charge in my garage and also i have level 2 charger at my work space garage free..do you think it is doable? i am also thinking about chevy bolt..do you think it will be a wise decission to buy chevy bolt if i can get it out the door fr 25k...i am estimating i will be doing this job for at least 2 yrs from now will put 70k miles on it....even if i sell the BOLT after 2 years for 20k i will be in good shape..what you say?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 am 
Site Moderator

The Fit EV will not work for you. No one knows how badly the Bolt depreciation will be, but like other EVs, you will likely lose a lot of money. Again, the best setup for you is the Hyundai Ioniq "Unlimited" lease.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am 

As much as we all like the Fit EV, it is not suitable for the situation you described.

The number of miles you will put on eliminates most leases with the exceptions being unlimited mile leases. The Fit EV (not enough range) and the IONIQ (keeps getting delayed, and pricing and other details are unknown at this time) are the only EV's I know of with unlimited miles.

The Bolt EV is certainly an option and range will not be an issue. You could do the round trip and require charging at only one end (home or work).

If you do go with charging at both ends, another option to look at purchasing is the 2017 Ford Focus Electric. It will likely cost less than the Bolt, and may work for you. The seats in the Bolt are somewhat controversial. Some people absolutely hate them. The IONIQ and Focus Electric have power leather seats available that are quite comfortable Since you have significant seat time with your long commute, something that should probably not be overlooked.

A 94 Ah BMW i3 might also work, but will cost more than the Bolt.

I don't think you will come close to an "out the door price" of $25K on a Bolt. The $30K number thrown around by Chevy is taking into account a Federal Tax Credit that will not be deducted from the purchase price. With CA Sales Tax and other fees, a base Bolt LT will likely be $38-39K out the door (even with a hefty discount off of MSRP). You may be eligible for the $7500 Fed Tax Credit and also for the $2,500 - $4,000 CA clean air rebate. The CA incentive is a rebate and the check usually takes 6-8 weeks (when funds are available). The Federal Tax Credit (as it stands today) would be deducted from your 2017 Tax Bill (you can adjust your withholding to compensate).

2014 #262

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 am 

Gary..you are a rock star..you answered all my questions asked and also in my mind...thanks you very much...i will think about Ford focus too. Thanks again.