Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to actually get a Fit EV?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:39 pm 

I must be lucky but I had a great experience working with my Honda dealership. I saw the lease deal online and immediately filled out a credit application last Thursday. The local dealership received my request and sent me an email to which I called the sales manager. Scheduled a test drive Friday at noon and called back Friday night to reserve the car. Although I was not able to take delivery until Monday night, everything went smoothly. The 3 EVs the dealership had on the lot had been there for 3 months. They had a list of 20 people who were interested but failed to pull the trigger before the new lease incentives. On Monday, i was told there are more than 1000 people on the waitlist on the west coast.

Good luck to those they have not been able to get one yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:37 pm 

mwrsca wrote:
Does anyone know where the remaining inventory of Fit Evs are now? Dealers are sold out and don't know when they will get anymore in. I called Honda North America and they could not tell me where the cars are: (on a boat; on a truck; being built; in a large parking lot near a port city...nothing) I left a message for a Honda spokesperson who released the new screaming lease deal to the public, but she is out of the office for 3 days. Sounds like Honda came out with this great deal and had less than a 100? cars available in their 8 state market. Gee, did they miscalculate the growing demand for evs?

I read a post on the Fit-EV Facebook page that a guy that lives in Richmond, VA, saw several driving around in the ship unloading area today. Maybe the same thing is, or, will be happening soon, on the west coast? He is on this forum and he is in CA!

Last edited by Darkstarchuck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm 

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... full.story

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:19 pm 

EVMike wrote:
I must be lucky but I had a great experience working with my Honda dealership.
Thanks for chiming in Mike. What state are you in? I had a good experience as well. I guess a prerequisite to having a good experience is that the dealer actually has a Fit EV on the lot when you get there.

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 pm 

many just don't really know what is going on. my guy was flat out honest with me that he was not sure what the process was

I went to the dealer took it for a test drive (they had one) and fell INSTANTLY IN LOVE. when you hit the gas IT IS like a motorcycle. it throws you back into the seat as if you just lit a rocket motor.

amazing.

he ran my credit but was "unsure" how to proceed further. he was going to take a deposit (could not get my card out fast enough) but then said no deposit. said it has to go through honda directly so they can't take a deposit. when the guy who "does" the ev stuff gets in tomorrow (I got their 8pm tonight) he will find out what has to happen next.

how do I get ahold of someone at honda? I REALLY do believe I am "good" for honda in this regard and I am pretty certain they would want to give me one if I could talk to someone.

I get a transportation allowance at work so the funds are assured ($440 a month 110 mile commute 54 one way I can charge at work) since the commute is so long and expensive (I drive around 35,000 to 40,000 miles a year)

I figure the Fit EV could handle around 25,000 of those miles (and with my fuel being free essentially I would probably drive even more !

so I WILL put 75,000 to 100,000 miles on this car in three years. I am hoping this would be "desirable" to honda to have one of the cars tested to this many miles and I can charge at work and EVEN IF I use 110v my work shift is minimum 12 hours so I will always head to work or home from work with a 100% charge :-)

I want this car SO FREAKING BAD!

I just wish I could talk to an actual decision maker to plead my case. I really think once they know my situations (transportation allowance and no problem charging at work) that they will really want to let me lease one !

got to get past the credit check first. my score is 627. not so good. :-(

we shall see.

any suggestions for how I can get ahold of someone at honda?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm 

Quote:
Fladeboe in Irvine has a 150 person waiting list!

Wow! I got my car from Fladeboe in January. The only hassle was with Leviton who wanted me to install a 32 amp charger using their installation team...about $1500, they said, but they needed a "site survey," and I think it would have been a lot more because I do not have a 240 volt outlet in my garage that can support a 32 amp charger. So it meant new wiring, breaker replacement, tearing up walls, etc.
So I told Honda I wanted to buy a 16-amp Leviton charger and install it myself (about $800) and they said fine. Leviton still tried to block me, claiming that I could not install it where I wanted it...under a cabinet, less than 4 feet above the floor. Six inches less. They said if I put it there, it would void the warranty. I think they were just hassling me because I didn't buy their big charger and let them do the installation. I bought it and installed it anyway, and Fladeboe had a car for me within two weeks.
I have read that Honda is now sold out on the Fit EV for this year. And I doubt if they will increase production since they are losing money on every one.

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:56 pm 

I'm in San Jose, CA. Bought the car from Capitol Honda.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am 

Man, you guys are getting me bummed out all over again.

I've been thinking about buying an electric car for years. I almost had my 91 Acura Integra converted to electric but it was going to cost around $10,000 - didn't seem worth it.

I almost leased the Fiat but I read it only seats 2 in the back, I need 5 seats.

So I was going to buy the Honda Fit regular because the Fit EV was too much per month, then last Thursday my friend told me about the reduced lease. I almost went to the dealer Friday, but my kid was home sick so I figured I'll go Saturday.

By Saturday morning, apparently, the last Fit EV in Southern Cal (at least near me) was gone. Two sold in Hollywood on Friday, and one sold in Glendale Saturday morning, right when they opened. Those were the last ones I heard about. So I did the same as you all - I did the online app including credit check and got all pre-approved, and I'm on several waiting lists at various dealers. My plan was to wait a few months and hope I get one from the next shipment. But things are not sounding promising. I like a car that's fun to drive - I'm not sure the Leaf or Focus would do it for me. So now I'm back to thinking about buying a regular used Honda Fit, which I was reasonably happy with until I heard about the EV deal. I'll probably wait for the EV for another few months first.

They really dropped the price too quickly on this. I don't think they realized it would be quite that attractive. They obviously wanted to get more buzz and to get them off the lots (they are losing money on each one they lease but they lose more if it stays on the lot), but I think they could have kept the price $50 higher and still got them all out without the feeding frenzy. I feel bad for these dealers, in some ways. If the EV hadn't been around I would have been in the market for a Fit or maybe a Civic or Accord, but since the EV came out I'm sitting on the sidelines waiting for another one to become available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

EVMike wrote:
I must be lucky but I had a great experience working with my Honda dealership. I saw the lease deal online and immediately filled out a credit application last Thursday. The local dealership received my request and sent me an email to which I called the sales manager. Scheduled a test drive Friday at noon and called back Friday night to reserve the car. Although I was not able to take delivery until Monday night, everything went smoothly. The 3 EVs the dealership had on the lot had been there for 3 months. They had a list of 20 people who were interested but failed to pull the trigger before the new lease incentives. On Monday, i was told there are more than 1000 people on the waitlist on the west coast.

Good luck to those they have not been able to get one yet.

I had pretty much the identical experience as Mike which isn't surprising since we both picked up the car from the same dealership last Monday night. I was one of the 20 interested people who hadn't pulled the trigger. Two things changed for me - one the new lease terms with unlimited mileage removed one constraint and second my employer is installing chargers this month.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 am 

I'm in New York State and registered through the website. Got a call within hours from the local dealer, and the sales rep was all ready to hook me up with an ICE Fit. After explaining, he said he had to talk to his manager. Days later and he just got back to me. This dealer wants a $1000 deposit, which will be applied to the lease. Once that's in, they will order a car and I should have it in about a month. The rep did not know how I get the charger from Leviton. I am going in first thing next week to put down the deposit.

There still does not seem to be a huge amount of demand here at least.

I'm assuming Honda is allotting a few to each certified dealer back east. Anyone know if that's what's going on?

Drew

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next