Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to actually get a Fit EV?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:41 pm 

They have enough cars to supply all the dealers if they limit the number of cars they allot to each dealer, which seems to be what they are doing. They could easily lease all 1100 in California alone.
Honda is playing it safe and gathering data from users in different climates. If, say, people in cold winter climates (like me!) or hot climates have issues with range, let's see how they address them. I wouldn't say they are committing to anything yet, since clearly demand is far outstripping supply for the Fit EV.

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 pm 

This reminds me of the time when the Honda Civic CR-X came out in 1984. There was a low supply and high demand for the car in Northern CA. I placed my order in 1984 and was number 47 on waiting list. I finally got the car about 4 months later. The dealer called to see if I still wanted it, as there was over a hundred names on the waiting list after mine. Blue 1985 Honda CR-X, 5 speed manual, no radio and no A/C and I was lucky to get it at MSRP. This happened to me again in 2000 with the Acura Integra Type-R. High demand and low supply. Okay .... so I belong to the over 50 crowd !!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:31 am 

cpalace wrote:
I am in the same boat as stuw6. Put my deposit on 6/3 and am 1st on the list. Dealer doesn't have a clue on when their next shipment will be. Once they have a VIN number, they will know the exact date on when the car will arrive at the dealership. That VIN number is also good on showing the insurance company so they can waive the collision insurance. Can't do anything but wait right now. The dealer said they will have more information at the end of the week. Not holding my breath that it will come in June. :(

I think you'd be holding your breath a while. I gave up after the dealer Burns Honda in Marlton, NJ kept telling me I was next on the list from the beginning of this whole debacle two weeks ago. They were even gracious enough to take $500 from me and use it for two weeks interest free. I ended up getting a Nissan Leaf this week. Anyone considering the Fit, I would recommend you check out the Leaf. Even though the Fit lease deal is phenomenal, Nissan is also offering great deals on the Leaf. I'm no fanboy, but if you're in the market and can wait 3 months or longer, I say wait for the Fit. However, if you need a vehicle sooner than later, the Leaf is a great EV.

Here's what I received from another Honda dealer earlier this week before I got my Leaf:

Unfortunately, that dealership should have informed you that the 2013 Fit EV is not going to be available for immediate delivery at any dealership. There is an application process through Honda (following the initial placement of the order); and then the vehicles will be delivered on a first come, first served basis - which we have received an estimate of 90 days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 am 

Sigh. This process is kind of a nightmare. I was pre-approved on May 31st, yet my selected dealership didn't add me to a wait list and ignored my emails. I finally called to find out what was going on only to find out I need to give them $500 in addition to my pre-approval to get on the wait list that I would've been number one on had they responded to any of my emails. In talking with another dealer-they would've added me immediately once the pre-approval went through and their wait list has no deposit. Great, so if I'd just picked the dealer one mile farther from me, I'd have my $500 and maybe even a car by now. Not to mention, it turns out Maryland screws you on tax for a lease and charges you on the retail value of the WHOLE vehicle, not the part you're leasing, which doubly screws you on electric vehicles since the MSRP is so high. So the money down to lease is around $2,000 once you pay the first month, registration, and taxes.

I'm really hopeful that with the Fiat500e as well as the Chevy Spark, both of which are cheaper than the Honda Fit EV, coming out in California in July (and being shipped now) that many of the California folks will drop off the wait list. I'm wondering if Honda did this as a pre-emptive measure to move the Fit EV's off the California lots before the two very competitive other options become available knowing they'd only have a one month rush before the wait lists in CA dissipate freeing up the newly shipped Fit EVs for the other 7 states. Since the only options in Maryland are the Leaf, Fit, and Volt...sadly we don't have the option of jumping to a comparable option if we don't get a car by July. Although with how bad this process has been I would definitely go back to the Chevy dealer for a Volt if they lowered their down payment.

Fit EV #355
Leased 6-23-2013

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Moderator

I am not in a rush to get this car so waiting a couple of months is ok for me. My car is 8 years old and runs good but the FIT would be my primary car when I get it. Don't want to throw more money on an old car. Hey if I didn't jump when it was at $389/month, so whats the big deal waiting now? I understand that some people need cars now and going to the Leaf or other EV option is great. Good luck to everyone on the list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:35 am 

I stand corrected, Honda did process my EVSE shipment form and Leviton has processed it. Should be arriving within a week.

jtpassat wrote:
No clue, I'm assuming not since I can still back out of the deal at anytime.

igbright wrote:
Wow, that's really unbelievable! Will they let you proceed with the EVSE shipment/installation in the meantime?

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Moderator

Hey, congratulations! Mine is arriving on Friday and the electrician is lined up for Monday (I am not going with the Leviton installer).

We should have a Mass/RI Fit EV party (maybe at Prime Honda :D )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 pm 

That's if they ever deliver the car. Honda hasn't fixed the registering the car in RI problem yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 pm 

Latest update:

"Our legal department is in contact with the state, and have completed what
they could on line and are waiting for a certificate to arrive in the mail.
As soon as it is received, we will overnight the entire application package
to the state for processing. We hope to have this completed by end of next
week, but ultimately that is up to RI."

ARggghhh.... if anyone knows how RI works, unless you slip in a few C-notes in there, it's not gonna happen in less than 2 months.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Moderator

Hey, hang in there! You have a VIN, you have a lease, you have an EVSE... it's just a matter of time, and even then it's likely much less time than most people in this forum will have to wait for one!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next