Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open Road Honda, Edison, NJ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:50 pm 

August 23rd, I plunked down $500 to lock in my spot at #4 on their Honda Fit EV Waiting list.

My first contact with Open Road Honda on August 22nd was interesting as they were certainly happier to sell me an ICE version Fit over the EV. I had to continually tell them that the EV lease special was the only reason I would buy a Honda Car at this time. I drive 55 miles each way to work and I have gone with Acura and Lexus so far to blend luxury and reliability for the last 13 years. The lease special with unlimited mileage made the decision to lease the Fit EV extraordinarily easy along with the benefits of collision insurance and free charging equipment.

I was about the put down a big deposit on the Lit Motors C-1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkvvsRBSroA, but alas it seems it won't be available until 2015 at the rate they are going so far.

Meanwhile, my wife was shocked at the speed in which the decision to lease the Fit EV was made. I have no regrets or second thoughts, I just want my Unicorn! I have been speaking with friends, family, clients and strangers about this amazing lease offer and my intentions to drive this car 110-120 miles per day (with a 9 hour standard charge during work hours and a full charge overnight on the leviton equipment). I plan to drive the car year round even on harsh winter days as my primary alternate vehicle may just be a Honda VTX1300 motorcycle if this works out the way I hope. I currently have a 2013 Lexus GS, 2007 Acura RDX and the Honda Bike. If this Unicorn comes and makes my dreams come true, I will be turning in one of the two 4 wheelers while my wife drives the other.

I have an electrition coming to install the outlet for the Leviton charging equipment and I intend to take it with me if I move. I don't have the leviton device yet as they said I can't order it until I sign the lease docs, but that it would only take 2-3 days to arrive once everything was set.

I have read this forum up, down, left and right and have come to the conclusion that in most cases, my 55 mile each way daily commute (of which 46 miles are on the NJ Turnpike) is achievable. If it turns out that on very cold days or very hot days the 9 hour charge from the outdoor regular outlet at the office doesn't do the trick and return me to nearly 100%, I may have to stop off exit 52 of Route 295 on the way home and use a chargepoint station that I checked on yesterday and appears to be in perfect working order.

I believe if I am in a pickle, I will be able to bail out on to route 130 around highstown and be able to stop and go it if I am running short on charge as well.

Anyone want to talk me out of it... the dealer just told me they have no idea when my car is actually coming in, but they did cash my check!

Post subject: Re: Open Road Honda, Edison, NJ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:21 pm 

Here'rs hoping you won't have to wait very long for your unicorn. Believe me it will not let you down. It is an amazing car. I've had my since June 8th and have already put over 5200 miles on her. I drive 100 miles round trip about twice a week without a charge. I do take the highway which is much slower than the interstate but I don't mind taking my time and checking out the scenery. On the other hand driving in sport is such a kick totally opposite of eco. The car feels as though it is sprouting wings. Looking forward to hearing the goods news that you've caught that magical unicorn.

2013 Honda Fit EV #303 delivered June 8, 2013 (Mine)
2006 Honda CR-V (Long Trips-doesn't get much use)

2011 Nissan Leaf delivered May 31, 2011 (Husband's) - Traded in July 2014

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Moderator

Good luck with getting a car. I am in Lawrenceville and feel your pain as I too put a lot of miles on my car going to and from work. I was #2 on June 3rd when I put my deposit down and now #1 on July 23rd when Princeton Honda got one that just showed up on the trailer. Like you they took my $500 deposit and I am still waiting but it will be worth it when I do get one. Not many charging stations around Central NJ but glad to know that there is one off of Route 130 in E. Windsor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:14 am 

Wow, I imagine that my car will be available in the middle of October, but based on the Princeton timeline, I suppose 2014 is in play for my delivery. Yikes!

I am glad to hear that 100 miles is reasonable! I just hope that in the dead of winter, 15 degrees in the morning and snow on the ground, the fit EV will get me 55 miles on the TP. That would be amazing. I also hope that I can make it while using the heater and defroster.

It's funny that I am not yet and owner but I already feel the pain of range anxiety!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Moderator

Tropwes, hope you can wait for the car. Many people drop out and are no longer interested as time goes by so it might not be far fetched if you move up the ladder quickly. Also many people are on multiple dealer lists so once they get one or drop out, it will also affect how fast you will get the Fit. Many people complain about range anxiety, I can't wait for it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm 

I haven't had the Fit EV in the winter yet but I have had a Nissan Leaf for the past two winters and the range definitely drops down as the weather gets colder especially if you turn on the heater/defroster. I would probably plan to stop and charge up at that charge point station you mentioned. Also the way you drive has a direct impact on an electric car. To get the maximum range you will have to drive the Fit EV in Eco and use the B drive. Also the faster you go the quicker the range goes down. I'm not sure what the speed limit is on the NJ Turnpike but driving above 55/60 will kill your range. Good luck to you and here's hoping you get the good news on your Unicorn soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 am 

I am definitely not giving up on the Fit EV!! I just hope Honda doesn't give up on me. I recently purchased a 2013 Lexus GS and that is my daily driver along with the VTX1300 Honda Bike. Together those two consume 40K miles annually and at whatever point the Fit EV arrives, it will make me blissfully happy. In fact, I am having an electrician install the $90 kit in my garage so I am ready to "plug and play" when the car - and the free charger arrive. I just hope I don't have to learn the hard way about range if I were to first receive the car in January! I would rather learn during some more average temp months in NJ and then slowly figure out how to manage my foot over the coming days/weeks.

I will be driving from 8am-9am and from 6pm-7pm. I can charge at work on a conventional outlet for the 9 hours in between. Hope that get's me to and fro!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am 

I'm hoping your car comes in soon. Charging at work will definitely help and if nothing else it will cut down on the amount of time you will need to charge on your way home if charging at work doesn't get you all the way home on cold days. Do you live in Edison? I stayed there for about a year when my son was in JFK Johnson Hospital and then Hartwyck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 pm 

Update for me... I just cancelled my order at Open Road in Edison. I decided to get the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring model in its place. The features are outragous and I just can't keep waiting forever in hopes of eventually maybe getting a fit EV. Hopefully my delivery on the Hybrid will happen on time right near Christmas as it seems they are somewhat hard to get as well!

Feeling excited to trade in my gas guzzling Lexus GS and get in to my very first hybrid!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:41 pm 

Congratulations! The Accord Hybrid is getting rave reviews.

To be honest, I'm sure you would have had a good number of days in the cold weather when you wouldn't have made your commute with the FEV. 55 miles at highway speed would mean you would need a recharge stop. My commute is 35 miles about half of which is highway and half over a couple of mountains, from which I get a lot of regen going down. So far I have made it, but I'm seeing range estimates drop into the low 50s on very cold days (I'm in Orange Co. NY and commute to Paramus, NJ).

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13