Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Open Road Honda, Edison, NJ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Moderator

tropwes wrote:
Update for me... I just cancelled my order at Open Road in Edison. I decided to get the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring model in its place. The features are outragous and I just can't keep waiting forever in hopes of eventually maybe getting a fit EV. Hopefully my delivery on the Hybrid will happen on time right near Christmas as it seems they are somewhat hard to get as well!

Feeling excited to trade in my gas guzzling Lexus GS and get in to my very first hybrid!!

Well, the Fit EV and Accord Hybrid are very different vehicles, but I am a huge fan of the Accord Hybrid. 50mpg in a much larger, more comfortable car with many more features and amenities is pretty sweet.

I love my Fit EV, but there are a lot of tradeoffs! You'll be able to use the heater in your car, for one thing :lol: Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:39 pm 

Thank you! They are indeed quite different cars. I suppose I am super happy that I missed my chance at the Fit EV. Upon reading the posts about the Northeast winter weather and the range becoming so short, it's actually a blessing. Meanwhile, let me know hope that all the tips I have read about hypermiling on the EV's can somewhat translate to the accord hybrid so I can get the 50mpg or better!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:58 pm 

I am the proud owner of the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring Model! I picked it up at Burns Honda in Marlton, NJ on December 26th!

I do want to also say, Open Road Honda in Edison is brutal with customer service. My $500 refund process for the Honda Fit EV began over a month ago. I spoke to so many people and just today, I was finally able to pick up the check. My salesman hadn't responded to phone calls or email in weeks and his manager claimed he would take care of my refund right away and call me back, he never did.

At any rate, back to the Honda Accord Hybrid. Most important... fuel economy. In this chilly weather in NJ during my first few days behind the wheel, my average since I took the car off the honda lot is 39.4mpg. It's been dragged down mostly by the first day or two of driving when I hadn't figured out how to nurse the gas pedal and my wife has a heavy foot. The car is now at 310 total miles. Still about half a tank remaining and my door to door (mostly NJ turnpike driving) is 42.4mpg for the first 2 trips to and from the office (52.5 miles each way 90% highway). When the car is already warm and I drive locally, I am getting the 50+mpg they say for the city. I would say that once spring hits, I fully expect the fuel economy on the highway to rise beyond 45mpg for sure and city driving could be 60+ considering what I have seen in this weather.

The touring model is so feature rich that its beyond comparable even to the Jaguar XF or Lexus ES/GS or Acura TL for that matter. I am shocked at how nice the interior is and the ridiculous amount of features the touring model has included. I absolutely recommend this car to anyone. I have plenty of room to fit my wife comfortably in the front seat while having two infant car seats in the back. The GPS turn by turn pops up in the center of the speedometer in color! The options to change and adjust the cameras from angle to brightness and contrast is incredible. The side view instantly pops up on the GPS screen when you hit the right turn signal and it's so clear that I no longer use the mirrors or head check when making a lane change. The Lane departure warning is rather silly as it's so sensitive that is really isn't necessary anyway, its just annoying and can be turned off easily.

This car also comes with Adaptive Cruise control. This is hands down the best feature in the car as it allows me to set the cruise on the NJ turnpike and completely relax. I don't have to turn the cruise on and off and hit the gas and brake ever. My entire trip is on autopilot. I set the cruise at 81mph and chill out as the car speeds up and slows down and maintains the perfect distance behind whomever is in front of me. It actually felt as though it hit the brakes when someone cut me off. I am not sure if it did, but it slowed me down substantially and suddenly when I was cut off. I love love love ACC.

Lastly, if you haven't been inside the touring model, take a look. It's really surprising how luxurious it feels even against my old Lexus GS. The things I miss from the GS... first, heated steering wheel, then cooled seats and finally that lexus owned the road. It felt like I was totally in control. The honda lacks that road ownership feel.

At any rate, I signed up on Fuelly, my name is tropwes and I plan to log all of my miles there. So far, I still have half of my first tank which is totally amazing. I normally fill up every 2.5 days and with 93 octane. Now it will be 7-10 days and with Regular gas. Wooo hooo!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:10 pm 

tropwes wrote:
I am the proud owner of the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring Model!

Congratulations on your new HAHTM!.... color me green with envy... :mrgreen:

For that 52.5 mile one-way commute, the HAHTM is certainly a much better FIT :lol: for you than the FEV. During a typical NJ winter, there is absolutely no way the FEV can travel that distance on a single charge - even without heat!

Enjoy!... but please keep us posted throughout the winter and spring... I am interested!

2014 Honda Fit EV #30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:55 am 

I would like to congrats you ans also like to give you good luck for getting new unicorn. It's a fantastic car in a every way. i also have my own and i drive it 100 miles with a one time charge. You dnt need to worry just b ready to to drive you new Unicorn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 am 

Update for my Honda Accord Hybrid purchased in December 2013 after waiting for a FIT forever.

I have driven 24,250 miles as of this morning. My long term average since purchase is 48.8mpg. Interestingly the summer has brought 70mpg on my 52.5 mile each way commute and the winter was as low as 33mpg. I certainly modified my driving habits to be as much like a hypermiler as traffic on the NJTP can stand. That said, I have learned to stay in the right lane, drop down to 52 mph and relax. This has added about 12 minutes to my one way commute time.

I imagine the mpg will rise to around 52 long term and due to weather and circumstances like an all highway commute, I plan to achieve that 52mpg long term average around 2016.

My ownership of the HAH began during the coldest winter in recent history... and I will be playing catch up for some time.

Congrats to all those who got a FIT... I remain jealous!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Moderator

tropwes wrote:
Update for my Honda Accord Hybrid purchased in December 2013 after waiting for a FIT forever.

I have driven 24,250 miles as of this morning. My long term average since purchase is 48.8mpg. Interestingly the summer has brought 70mpg on my 52.5 mile each way commute and the winter was as low as 33mpg. I certainly modified my driving habits to be as much like a hypermiler as traffic on the NJTP can stand. That said, I have learned to stay in the right lane, drop down to 52 mph and relax. This has added about 12 minutes to my one way commute time.

I imagine the mpg will rise to around 52 long term and due to weather and circumstances like an all highway commute, I plan to achieve that 52mpg long term average around 2016.

My ownership of the HAH began during the coldest winter in recent history... and I will be playing catch up for some time.

Congrats to all those who got a FIT... I remain jealous!

From what I've read, your Accord Hybrid is about as rare as the Fit EV. With the number of miles you put on your car, I wonder how you could have achieved that with the Fit EV and charging times? You almost would have to be charging whenever you weren't driving it!
Congrats and thanks for the update. Very interesting.