Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canada drop offs sent into USA?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:55 pm 

Does anyone know if the cargo ships drop cars off in Canada and then have some of the cars shipped/trained into the USA or if they have to unload US cars in the US? Celestial wing is in New Brunswick Canada now and next port is LAX with an ETA of 12/27. I'm hoping my car is on this ship and also hoping to get it before the new year, but if they have to bring it all the way to LAX, then get it to the east coast, taking possession before 2014 isn't looking good. Any one know anything about the process after the cars are unloaded from the ships?

Post subject: Re: Canada drop offs sent into USA?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:23 pm 

Hi Bdfitz,

I followed the shipping fairly closely before I eventually received my FitEV. The only ports I saw the cars come through were Portland/Astoria, OR, Richmond, CA, and San Diego, CA. My guess is the cargo on the Celestial Wing Canada-LA run did not include any FitEVs. I believe I read in a thread from an East Coast poster that he was told by a dealer that Honda was not sending anymore FitEVs in 2013. We will see shortly if that was true or not when the December numbers come out. Hang in there, hopefully January will be your month.

2014 FEV #96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:33 am 

Thanks for your reply. Obviously I'm hoping you're wrong. ;-) Since my dealer has been invoiced for my car and they've told me I should have it this month, I'll hope the other dealership was either wrong or just that they won't be getting any more in 2013. Any idea at what point a dealer is invoiced for a car? i.e. When they leave the factory in Japan, when they arrive in the US, some other time? I have my VIN... Is that of any help to me in researching?

I'll keep everyone posted on any news I get! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:35 am 

Bdfitz53 wrote:
Any idea at what point a dealer is invoiced for a car? i.e. When they leave the factory in Japan, when they arrive in the US, some other time? I have my VIN... Is that of any help to me in researching?

It is my understanding that the dealer is NEVER invoiced. The car is owned by Honda and leased to you (with no option to purchase). The dealer is basically performing a courtesy delivery.

As far as December deliveries, a local dealer got one last Friday (not mine :( ), and several more have shown up on Cars.com for CA dealers. IIRC, you are on the East Coast, so one might indeed be headed your way :P !

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:55 am 

Hmmm I don't know what invoice they're referring to. But I do know its on their list of new inventory on their website and like I said I do have the VIN. Any idea when they get the VIN info? I'm curious if it's when the car is still in Japan or after it's arrived in the US. They've had this info for over a week now so if they get the info after the car has landed in the US then i'd expect a call anytime now! If from Japan, then I'm in the dark as to when I'll get the call.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

As far as I know, you're one of the few (the first?) that has gotten a VIN prior to the car arriving. All the dealers around me claim they don't even know they are getting one until the truck pulls up (a few have said they've been called to ask if they want one the day before).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:22 pm 

I have to admit I was surprised by that myself! They told me they've only delivered one other car since the new lease program and that one did just show up, and the GM even called to make sure it was intended for them. The way things are going with my car seems to be very different this time. But they told me they don't expect any more info until the car shows up on their lot, so I'm left knowing it's coming but not knowing exactly when!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:11 am 

Looks like at least one has made it to the East . Honda of Princeton had one show up in online inventory today.

Let us know if it is yours! If not, there is a good possibility more than one was on the shipment.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:29 am 

That's not me. I'm getting mine from Manchester Honda in CT. It's been on their inventory for about a week or so. I have an email into the GM to see if he can get me any more info or better idea on timing.

Celestial Wing is in port in LAX. I wonder how long it takes to get the cars from the west to east coast.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out.