Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Will Honda ever let us buy/keep the car?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm 

I live you Syracuse, NY. Like many of you, I absolutely adore my FIT EV. Do you think Honda would ever sign a liability agreement at the end of the lease that free's them from any responsibility to repair the car or in case the car malfunctions after the lease ends? Do you ever think they would let us keep the FIT EV if we paid the residual value after our 3 years are up? Heck, I would pay another ~$36,000.00 just to keep the car. I really fricken love this car and I'd really hate to end up like the people who leased the EV1. Honda changed the lease agreement before, from $389 a month/12,000 miles to $259 month/unlimited miles...why couldn't they change it again? Regardless of what they do, I am going to fight to the death to keep this car, I will not let them crush this car. I love it way too much.

What do you guys think?

Fit EV #0199
Delivered on: 3/30/13

Post subject: Re: Will Honda ever let us buy/keep the car?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:42 am 

No, no and… NO.

This is a compliance car – nothing more.

Enjoy your little blue unicorn for the time you have it, and then move on.

But that won't be such a bad thing… I'm certain that there are much better BEVs on the horizon. Looking forward to the second-generation.

2014 Honda Fit EV #30

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:46 am 

I agree with buckweet. It is a compliance car and we are the lucky few that get to test it and help Honda learn from it. Because the Fit EV is so awesome even with the limited range, I'd think that once Honda is able to address the range issue, especially for those of us who are in the northeast, Honda would be selling EV's in the near future. It just makes sense. Some of their competitors are already selling EV's. We are just helping Honda perfect their technology, helping them develop every aspect of the car, so it lives up to Honda's standards before it is made available to the general public.

Please do not fight for the car either. Don't become like those activists on the "Who Killed The Electric Car" movie. We all knew that we had no option to buy it when we signed the lease.

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:20 am 

short answer: No
long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 am 

I'm not entirely sure that Honda will push for electric vehicle technology like Nissan has... I'd just hate to see technology with so much potential to just get crushed like the EV1's did. Yeah the range is limited, but I only feel like it's a problem in the winter, my range was cut about half this winter. Other than that, I'm fine with the 80-100 mile range that I'm getting, gets me through my commute and trips. I'm hoping by the time my lease is up, Honda will have another EV for sale or up for lease....hopefully still on the Fit platform, god I love the Fit platform.

Fit EV #0199
Delivered on: 3/30/13

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 am 

MZX wrote:
... Honda would be selling EV's in the near future. It just makes sense.

Not so sure about that. Honda seems to be much more in the FCEV camp than the BEV camp:

http://archive.tennessean.com/VideoNetwork/2860336684001/Watch-the-Honda-FCEV-Concept-Debut-at-the-LA-Auto-Show

But then again... who knows? It's still much too early in the game to state with confidence that FCEV will succeed...

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Are-Hydrogen-Fuel-Cell-Vehicles-Dead-On-Arrival.html

2014 Honda Fit EV #30

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 am 
Site Moderator

I agree with all the "noooos"! While I am most definitely enjoying the Fit EV, I would not consider buying it out - and certainly not for $36k! I don't recall what the residual is, but my hope is that, by the time I need to return it to Honda, better options will be available, specifically addressing the interconnected issues of range and winter performance.

In that respect, I had hoped to see more (non-Tesla) progress by now in the "pure" electric category... but both the BMW i3 and the Mercedes B-class come in at the exact same 80-ish EPA range as every other BEV out there. Very disappointing.

I can see how I could be interested in extending the lease by a year, until the Tesla (non-)Model E comes out, or in the hope that better BEVs will be available in 2017. But I don't see wanting to keep it beyond that under any circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 am 

I'm hoping to save enough pennies and nickels to afford the Tesla S in 3 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:54 am 

jtpassat wrote:
I'm hoping to save enough pennies and nickels to afford the Tesla S in 3 years.

When my FEV lease expires, if I can get a BEV with a 40kWh battery (with decent cold weather chemistry) for <$35K, I will go that route.

If not, my next car will most likely be a GenII Volt.

2014 Honda Fit EV #30

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 pm 

I'd like to see them extend the lease(s) for another year or so, with a limit of the end of the program. When our 36 months is up, we'll have (guess) 40K on the blue machine, and the program will still have 2 years to run. I could prob put another 15 or 20K on it in another year, which would be valuable data for Honda (to 60K miles).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next