Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Will Honda ever let us buy/keep the car?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:04 pm 

Steve,
Good points. I have a friend who was an early Leaf buyer. He has experienced about the same range loss.
So far, I can't detect any loss, but I only have about 8500 miles on my car in nearly two years.
I started my lease at $420 (with tax). Now it's $280.
I suspect Honda is losing money on every car. I would not expect a further reduction.
The $2500 rebate would cover lease startup costs, but if I can't get a significant range improvement, I would rather stay with what I have...it has rarely caused me any "range anxiety."
Besides, I really enjoy driving it!

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:04 pm 

Did anyone else get an email survey from American Honda with the following:

"American Honda is considering an offer to extend your current Fit EV lease for up to two years at the current terms, plus a provision for an extended warranty term. Would you be interested in taking advantage of a lease extension offer?"

I received this on Dec. 2nd 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:31 pm 

ekececi wrote:
Did anyone else get an email survey from American Honda with the following:

"American Honda is considering an offer to extend your current Fit EV lease for up to two years at the current terms, plus a provision for an extended warranty term. Would you be interested in taking advantage of a lease extension offer?"

I received this on Dec. 2nd 2014.

Yes, look at the previous couple of pages in this thread.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 am 

I still have not gotten the email.

Drew

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 am 

While I completed the survey online and said i would like an extended lease. Winter is now here.... The car handles great in the winter for the tires it has on it (i'm more of a legit snow tire guy myself). But the defrosting issues and range decrease are to great for me to realistically extend this lease. 34mile round trip commute in crappy winter weather limited defroster use, no heat and getting home with only 15% battery left... realistically this won't make sense to keep in 2 years after the lease is up. I shouldn't be depending on my 2000 insight as my heavy snow vehicle, but with the chances of being stuck in traffic for an hour or more if a heavy snow fall happens, i think i'll need to plan longer trips with the 2nd car. Now if i didn't live in "snowy" Buffalo I would try to keep this car for as long as possible. it's amazing in all other aspects.

Any chance Honda will make us some super special double pain windshields so we don't fog up on the inside? why has no one made that work yet?

Tim

FitEV 2014 #12 :D and a 2000 Insight MT -156k miles
Sold :(
2005 Civic hybrid MT -85k miles 55mpg
2000 Insight MT - 130k miles 83.5Lmpg
2001 Insight CVT - 203k miles 69.3Lmpg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:28 pm 

I don't _expect_ a rate reduction, but Honda should seriously consider it. Whatever money they've sunk into the vehicles was accounted for with the initial lease. Also, at least in CA, the original lease holders got a $2500 CA rebate, which reduced the 3 year cost.

They don't have to recondition cars for people who extend the leases (though I think they may need to do something about worn out tires for some/at some point). They don't need to supply a new EVSE for people who extend. They don't need to pay the cost of recovering the car, and pay a dealer to prep and deliver for a new lease. They don't need to transport the cars to wherever they recondition them. They don't suffer lost months of lease payments.

Also, they should be thinking about a loyalty program for the few who got the car at the original terms and stuck with the program. My suggestion is some free months of lease extension to make the pioneers whole, but maybe Honda has a better idea.

bigelowrs wrote:
Steve,
Good points. I have a friend who was an early Leaf buyer. He has experienced about the same range loss.
So far, I can't detect any loss, but I only have about 8500 miles on my car in nearly two years.
I started my lease at $420 (with tax). Now it's $280.
I suspect Honda is losing money on every car. I would not expect a further reduction.
The $2500 rebate would cover lease startup costs, but if I can't get a significant range improvement, I would rather stay with what I have...it has rarely caused me any "range anxiety."
Besides, I really enjoy driving it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:52 pm 

The availability of “slightly used” Fit EVs for lease got me to thinking. What if you are offered a lease extension on a Fit EV, but not your current Fit EV?

Tony Williams, who follows CARB’s zero emissions requirements closely, mentioned a while back that to receive CARB credits for an EV, the manufacturer needs to lease the vehicle for at least 36 months. He has also looked at Honda’s sales and the BEV vehicles required to meet the requirement seems very close to the ~1,100 number Honda was set to produce.

We have heard about more than one FEV lessee that has turned in the vehicle early because they move or the car struggles to work for their situation. Honda seems to have accepted some unknown number of returns, maybe exceeding the number needed to receive sufficient CARB emissions credits. What other incentive does Honda have to extend any lease?

The devil is in the details of course, but if extending the lease was conditional on taking over a different “undertime” FEV, would you do it?

Me? I’m not anxious to change to another BEV right now, as I have various issues with most all of them. That said, if cheap gas puts enough pressure on manufacturers, a smoking good lease deal on an eGolf/Soul/B-Class/i3 this summer could change that. But for now, driving a Fit EV until the next-gen batteries are available in 2-3 years would work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:22 pm 

Quote:
Me? I’m not anxious to change to another BEV right now, as I have various issues with most all of them. That said, if cheap gas puts enough pressure on manufacturers, a smoking good lease deal on an eGolf/Soul/B-Class/i3 this summer could change that. But for now, driving a Fit EV until the next-gen batteries are available in 2-3 years would work for me.

I pretty much agree with Keijidosha. I will stick with the Fit unless something way better comes along.

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:51 am 

My wife wanted to buy a new FIT (ICE, not EV) and when I was searching around on their website I noticed that the Fit-EV page has returned - with something new. A note that says "Please visit again soon for information about pre-owned leases".

Very curious.

See here: http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 pm 

My guess is that the note about "pre-owned leases" is going to lead to an offer to re-lease vehicles that were turned in early.
I don't think it implies anything about lease extensions...unfortunately.

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next