Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting out of or taking over existing lease
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:31 am 
Site Moderator

Does anyone have concrete knowledge about Honda taking back leased cars? Recently there have been new users who have re-leased cars that were originally leased to someone else. I'm interested in the reasons Honda took back the cars.

We know that Honda will take back the car if the lessee moves out of a Fit EV-approved state, since obviously there would not be a certified dealer to service it. Members have been very vocal about the cold weather/diminished range issue, so I suspect Honda has taken back some cars for that reason, although that is unverified. But I've seen some members almost off-handedly say they might "decide" to return the car for other (arguably more minor) reasons, such as the Bluetooth module not working, or even because they don't want to replace the tires when they wear out. Since the lease is a binding legal document, Honda would have to agree to this. Does anyone know if this has actually occurred?

Also, does anyone have knowledge of third-parties taking over leases, as opposed to Honda taking back the car and then leasing it again? Does anyone know if Honda has ever agreed to this arrangement?

Post subject: Re: Getting out of or taking over existing lease
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:48 pm 

Jackertracker - i am looking to take over a Fit EV lease, as i have been unable to get one off the waiting list. i understand this can be done and if you (or someone else) is looking to get out of a lease please get in touch with me!

- SeekingFitEV@google.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Moderator

My salesman told me they have had two that they took back and that they were both quickly re-leased to eager local people. But it's always done through Honda.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 pm 
Site Moderator

LonelyInBoston wrote:
Jackertracker - i am looking to take over a Fit EV lease, as i have been unable to get one off the waiting list. i understand this can be done and if you (or someone else) is looking to get out of a lease please get in touch with me!

I love my Fit EV and am absolutely NOT looking to get out of my lease, thank you! I am merely curious since there has been talk of it in other threads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 am 
Site Moderator

I am turning in my vehicle next month due to much longer commute. I was able to call Honda Financial and get an approval for early lease return. AHFC had to talk with someone in American Honda alternative fuels department in Torrance office and I got an approval to return the car to Gardena Honda.

Some lucky person on the waitlist will get my 12k 2013 vin212

Lease FIT EV 5/25/2013 #212

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 am 

It sounds like they handle it on a case-by-case basis.

They don't seem to have any trouble finding someone to take the cars, but it probably costs them $500 to $1000 for:
1) another Leviton EVSE
2) reconditioning/detailing the car
3) paying another "courtesy delivery" fee to the dealer

I imagine the "the tires are worn out" excuse would be a tough sell. If bluetooth issues are important enough for you to repeatedly bring it to the dealer for repair, they'd likely let you return it.

I didn't expect (and didn't receive) a "production ready" vehicle. I looked at it as a "Beta Test" and expected some issues - none have made me want to return the car. If they do offer to extend the lease - sign me up!

2014 #262

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:43 pm 

bobowah, so how did the return go? I'm thinking of trying to get out of my lease since the mileage isn't enough for my commute, especially with the winter coming.

I'm guessing we lose out on all the fees and taxes, but with gas prices coming down, as cheap as this car is, I don't see this being worth it in the long run.

Please let me know.

Thanks