Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Production may be done very soon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:13 pm 

Picked up our Blue Unicorn yesterday. We have 2014 #535 so I'm afraid there might not be many more produced before they get to their stated 1100 total. Interestingly the finance guy at the dealer told me that even though they stated they will product 1100 they are only going to make 1050. I'm not sure who to believe on that.

'14 Fit EV #535(Charged by solar)
'14 Fiat 500e (Charged by solar)

By the way, I own a solar company and for any people looking into solar in So Cal to charge their Fit EVs I'd be glad to offer a great deal to help pass on great cost savings to my fellow Fit EV owners versus charging with expensive SDG&E or SCE power.

Post subject: Re: Production may be done very soon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:47 pm 

I just picked up my Honda Fit EV today and my wife, kids and I love it. I have a question. How could I determine what number # my car is from the production line?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 pm 

Your VIN number. They do them sequentially but they started the count over in the 2014 model year. I think I saw someone post that they made around 500 2013s. Anyone know that number?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:38 am 

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

2014 263 as of 7/31/14 total 925 sold as of 7.31.14
2013 569
2012 93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am 

And I am still being jerked around by Planet Honda.

Drove my 95 Civic another 800 miles this past week or so. Too bad it will be my last Honda. I am getting ready to retrieve my deposit. I am looking at the Mazda 3 5-door. We've had a CX-9 for the past 18 months and have been very happy with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:47 pm 

I just picked mine up on 8/22 and I have #544. With Honda only scheduled to deliver 40 a month and production ending in fall, I do not see how they could make anywhere close to 1100.

Honda has made it border line impossible to get this car and are basically telling everyone they do not want to make electric cars. From what I have read it makes more business sense for them to move to hydrogen and natural gas. I got lucky and only looked for about three weeks. The thing that helped me get my Fit EV was putting my name on every dealership in CA (on the Fit EV website) and I answered every call I got from an unknown number. I got about 20 Honda dealerships trying to get me into a gas Fit, some tried twice. But one day I got a call from a local dealership and dropped whatever I was doing and got down there, I even had my dog with me at the time. Honda is just going through the motions, doing the bare minimum to be compliant with state rules. In fact, I think part of the slow production/feet dragging is due to the fact they are probably losing money on each Fit EV.

2014 Fit EV, #544

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:45 am 

fozzybean wrote:
Your VIN number. They do them sequentially but they started the count over in the 2014 model year. I think I saw someone post that they made around 500 2013s. Anyone know that number?

My car is number 493 and got it from Courtney Honda in Milford, CT. The salesperson (Richard Craven) was great and I think would buy another car from him after my lease is over. It's too bad they're not getting any more and I checked with Majestic Honda in Lincoln, RI yesterday, because I had to pick up some parts for my 2002 Honda Insight. They only got one Fit EV and the manager said they were not receiving another one. Luckily they had a car charger there so I could charge my Honda Fit EV, which I used to pick the parts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 am 
Site Moderator

SoCalFitEV wrote:
I got lucky and only looked for about three weeks. The thing that helped me get my Fit EV was putting my name on every dealership in CA (on the Fit EV website) and I answered every call I got from an unknown number. I got about 20 Honda dealerships trying to get me into a gas Fit, some tried twice. But one day I got a call from a local dealership and dropped whatever I was doing and got down there, I even had my dog with me at the time.

That's essentially exactly the same way I worked it. Since there are so many dealers in SoCal, the highest number of cars are delivered here, and dealers here generally have not required deposits, that strategy works here, but it's apparent things are different back east because the dealers have handled it differently with deposits and an even more limited number of available cars.

Quote:
Honda has made it border line impossible to get this car and are basically telling everyone they do not want to make electric cars. From what I have read it makes more business sense for them to move to hydrogen and natural gas.
Honda is just going through the motions, doing the bare minimum to be compliant with state rules. In fact, I think part of the slow production/feet dragging is due to the fact they are probably losing money on each Fit EV.

It's a business decision and a judgment call. Certainly other companies (Nissan, Chevy, BMW) are putting substantial resources into electric because they think there is a future. But Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, and again BMW are betting that hydrogen will be viable in the future. There is a lot to overcome with hydrogen (especially infrastructure), but companies have to take a commit to some technology at some point. It's been interesting to see some of these companies hedging their bets as they evaluate where the market and the technology is headed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 pm 

I live next to the port in Richmond (Northern CA). There are currently 2 sitting out in the lot fresh off the boat. They're only bringing in a few at a time anymore. The most I've seen lately is 5 at once come off a ship. They're still coming, just in very small amounts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 pm 

I got my deposit back today. I was pretty pissed and let them know it. I was told I was number one in June and then number two in August and then number one again in September of last year. Called every other week if not more often. Good riddance Honda America.