Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just leased used 2014 Fit @ $199/mo - or SO I THOUGHT !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:45 pm 

Saw the news on Monday, including the press release, about leases for 24 mo @ $199 for extensions, as well as new customers on used Fits. Went on cars.com immediately and found the closest car to me (CT) was Princeton Honda in NJ, about 200 miles away. Called them up, confirmed the deal, and told them I'd be there the following day at noon. Got a call from the Sales Manager trying to delay me coming so they could get things lined up, but told him that Tuesday was only day that would work as I feared they'd prefer to give it to someone local. Hopped on the train next morning, took about 3 hours for them to get everything lined up once I showed up, then signed all the paperwork stating 24 month lease at $199/mo. Left there at about 3:30pm and didn't get home until about 4:15am - drive ~hour at 55-60 then charge for about 3.

Dealer calls me this evening 27 hours after I signed for the car saying that the new deal isn't effective until July, so Honda is telling them that my deal needs to be at $259/mo, no less. He gave me contact info for Robert Langford at Honda, who reiterated the same. At this point I'm not sure whether it would even still be a 24 month lease or not - anyone who has leased an early term, did you have a 24 or 36 month lease? Not sure what they'll do regarding a charger either since the release doesn't speak to it. It seems as though everything online says the "former" program is no longer in effect, so only seems natural based on nothing in release to say otherwise that this should have been effective immediately.

So pissed, and not sure what to do from here. I'm a Honda person to the bone with my entire family owning their vehicles & dirt bikes for the past 20 years. This is absolutely terrible from a customer service perspective. I have an executed agreement that says $199/mo for 24 months, but is it worth going down the legal trail? Anyone else in this same boat?

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

Post subject: Re: Just leased used 2014 Fit @ $199/mo - or SO I THOUGHT !!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm 

I told my husband about your dilemma and we both agreed that if the contract was signed by all parties Honda should not be able to change the lease amount on your car. I would say the dealership is responsible for paying Honda the additional monies. You signed in good faith. If you know a lawyer it wouldn't hurt to get a legal opinion. Maybe someone on the forum is a lawyer and could give you advice on this.

2013 Honda Fit EV #303 delivered June 8, 2013 (Mine)
2006 Honda CR-V (Long Trips-doesn't get much use)

2011 Nissan Leaf delivered May 31, 2011 (Husband's) - Traded in July 2014

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:31 pm 

I interpreted the $199 deal to be a lease extension (implies an existing lease). It did say in the press release that it would be offered to those that leased used cars, but never said it would replace the $259 per month, 2 year deal (which includes EVSE). Only that they MAY be offered one at the end of their lease(like the rest of us).

2014 #262

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 am 

@Diane - that is kind of where I am sitting right now. I talked to a friend that was formerly a new car dealer for another manufacturer and he said in this case the dealer is getting pinched because they can't sell off the lease, but that it really isn't my problem they signed something that was incorrect, and that it is similar to if they offered me a $5k rebate on a purchase and it should have only been $4k. They should eat it, and/or ask Honda to make them whole since apparently Honda didn't make terms clear.

@Duc - I disagree. Honda is NOT looking to have these cars out for another 5 years. Second bullet on the press release from PR Newswire is "New, two-year used Fit EV lease offered to prospective customers". To me that's pretty clear its not a 3 + 2 yr extension. And the body of release goes on to say "The reduced lease price and matching two-year terms1 will also be available to new customers interested in driving a used Honda Fit EV". Quite honestly, I think somewhere in their back office two hands weren't talking to each other and they didn't think about anyone being in the situation as me, where there was a car sitting on a lot, presumably from an early termination, but were really focused on the lease extension part which they thought they had covered since no ones original lease would end before July.

I'm not sure what the terms have been for people getting leases on those used early terms (i.e. since they ran out of new ones), was it $259/mo for 24 or 36 months, or whatever was left from its original 36 months by the previous leasee or ?

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 am 

I believe the paperwork you signed has a 3 day review clause. So if there were errors during that time either party could nullify the contract. I recall something similar when I got my lease and they did make mistakes that required them to redo the paperwork, however in my case it was to make sure that I was getting exactly what was advertised and explained to me.

Fit EV #425

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 am 

Nothing that I see to that effect, only that I can review the lease for one day before signing.

But I did just notice something which makes my heart sink a bit - the dealer's "Business Manager" did not sign my copy of the lease...

I only see 3 options:
1) They honor the $199 which was agreed to in good faith (on my part at least)
2) Close second I 'agree' to pay $259 until July when the program supposedly launches. Likely that would make the lease end in July 2017 rather than March, but not the end of the world... The $ difference between 1 and 2 is so minimal for Honda its not worth discussing IMO, and the $240 over those two months is equivalent to probably 2 hours of Robert Langford's time.
3) They dig in and agree to neither, and I tell them that based on the experience and that significantly better models are on the horizon it is not worth signing up for a 2 year lease on a used car with 'older' tech, and they can send someone with a trailer 200 miles to come pick it up. They can return my first month's payment and registration fees too, and I'll eat my train/cab fares plus 12+ hours of my life spent driving home.

This has turned from excitement to a huge downer. Wish the '16 Volt pricing was out... I can get a $2000 (taxable) incentive through my employer but only for new cars so this one didn't qualify.

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am 
Site Moderator

Considering quite a few people on these boards signed their leases paying $389 a mo., either of the two lower prices are quite nice a bargain. Not to mention all of the other perks that no other EV maker has offered.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:57 am 

I agree - consider the fact that

1. these are hard to find - you had to go to NJ just to get it.

2. $259 or $199 with NO down payment is cheap since it has unlimited mileage, free collision and free maintenance. I don't think any other manufacturer offers any of those additional perks at that price.

You may not get the mind blowing deal at the $199/month but at $259 you are still getting a great deal.

blownb310 wrote:
Considering quite a few people on these boards signed their leases paying $389 a mo., either of the two lower prices are quite nice a bargain. Not to mention all of the other perks that no other EV maker has offered.

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:03 pm 

I can understand why they are balking a bit here, given that the car is not yet three years old. Let's say I'm 1 year into a Fit EV lease at $259. I decide "no thanks" and terminate the lease (my understanding is that this is pretty easy to do without cost). Dealer puts the car on the lot, I walk back in an hour later and say hey, I see you have a lease return on the lot. How about you lease it to me for $199? :-) I just effectively reduced my lease payments for the last two years of the lease! (Or, my wife goes in and does it, in case they have a clause about a lease canceler can't re-lease another Fit EV.)

Anyway, if you can get the deal, you are doing well -- better than any of us that are still on the regular lease.

-Steve

2013 Fit EV #151, delivered 11/17/12 (30K mi)
2011 Nissan LEAF, delivered 9/11/11 (27K mi)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm 

I think they should agree to a 2 year lease at $259. If they do then you must get the free EVSE with it. That is still a screaming deal. that is what I got in May and if they are holding you to the original lease terms and not the new re-lease terms, then that is what they should offer you.

If you get the $199 deal then you will still need to purchase the EVSE at additional cost but in my opinion either way its a wash and you will only be in for 24 months. By then you should have much more options to choose from in EV land....at lest that is what I am hoping for.

If not then I'll dump driving EVs for a while and get a late model 997 Carrera

Fit EV #425