Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just leased used 2014 Fit @ $199/mo - or SO I THOUGHT !!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm 

I am awaiting a call back from both dealership and Honda, but it is my understanding they would be willing to do $259/24 months and all the terms so include EVSE.

I assume the $199 would include charger since others who got a used one from early-term got one (I assume a new one, not the one that the early-term had used?). If not, it should say specifically otherwise a reasonable person would assume the "matching two year terms" would mean all the same terms, but subject to interpretation I guess. I can say FWIW the paperwork I signed did say it came with a charger... In any case, assuming it didn't, you are talking about an increase of $1,440 in payments, which is obviously much more than an EVSE of my choice so not a wash.

@stevestranger - I hear you, but the exact same thing could have happened when they dropped it from $389 to $259 if they didn't choose to make it effective for current people, and honestly can still happen after July 1 for anyone who still has time on their lease (the release says the new rate would only go into effect upon extension, NOT for all current owners like the $389 to $259 drop). And without looking, I'm fairly confident there is enough legal lingo in the contract to prevent this.

@jtpassat - Imagine going to the store in the PP mall and buying a hard to find phone for 30% off. Then taking it home and the store calling you to say AT&T said they should only have sold it for regular price. Sure yes you got a deal in one sense in that you got one at all, but its obviously not the same. Yes hard to find, and I searched hard during 2014 to get one. Obviously this generation EV is still very much a tradeoff, and I can justify that at $199. At $259, and now with the passage of time, the deal is not quite as great with other alternatives coming out in the near future including new Volt and new Leaf not too far behind. The way the #'s work for me, I pay $200/mo in gas at $3.35/gal for just my normal work commute in my '98 Accord with 327k miles, so basically I could drive a nearly new car for the same outlay (as obviously my car is not seeing much in the way of further depreciation at this point). But without the lower deal, I may just keep driving it and bet that it'll survive until I get a new Volt/Leaf rather than worrying about whether in the winter I'll have to drive in a freezing cold car to make it the 40 miles one way. And it will never be more than a commuter car without a QC port at this range level.

@blownb310 - Yes, but those same people are also mostly in CA, where they got rebates to knock the price down, enjoy HOV access which is big for them, and are MUCH less plagued by range issues as a factor of more charging stations and the warmer temps. Generally speaking, this car would have been a VERY hard sell to someone on East coast for $389/mo & 12k miles/yr...

There were 2 others listed in CA on cars.com Monday that are no longer on there, curious to know the story behind them...

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:08 am 

Not to split hairs but... $389/month is the retail price for this car that they lowered to $259/month so you're already getting 33% off. At $199 you are getting 48% off the retail price. So the analogy should really be buying it at 48% off and being told sorry we can only give it to you for 33% off.

And if your commute is 40 miles one way, you should rethink the FEV because you are pushing your luck in the winter, even with the heat off and taking back roads instead of the highway.

jfon101231 wrote:
I am awaiting a call back from both dealership and Honda, but it is my understanding they would be willing to do $259/24 months and all the terms so include EVSE.

I assume the $199 would include charger since others who got a used one from early-term got one (I assume a new one, not the one that the early-term had used?). If not, it should say specifically otherwise a reasonable person would assume the "matching two year terms" would mean all the same terms, but subject to interpretation I guess. I can say FWIW the paperwork I signed did say it came with a charger... In any case, assuming it didn't, you are talking about an increase of $1,440 in payments, which is obviously much more than an EVSE of my choice so not a wash.

@stevestranger - I hear you, but the exact same thing could have happened when they dropped it from $389 to $259 if they didn't choose to make it effective for current people, and honestly can still happen after July 1 for anyone who still has time on their lease (the release says the new rate would only go into effect upon extension, NOT for all current owners like the $389 to $259 drop). And without looking, I'm fairly confident there is enough legal lingo in the contract to prevent this.

@jtpassat - Imagine going to the store in the PP mall and buying a hard to find phone for 30% off. Then taking it home and the store calling you to say AT&T said they should only have sold it for regular price. Sure yes you got a deal in one sense in that you got one at all, but its obviously not the same. Yes hard to find, and I searched hard during 2014 to get one. Obviously this generation EV is still very much a tradeoff, and I can justify that at $199. At $259, and now with the passage of time, the deal is not quite as great with other alternatives coming out in the near future including new Volt and new Leaf not too far behind. The way the #'s work for me, I pay $200/mo in gas at $3.35/gal for just my normal work commute in my '98 Accord with 327k miles, so basically I could drive a nearly new car for the same outlay (as obviously my car is not seeing much in the way of further depreciation at this point). But without the lower deal, I may just keep driving it and bet that it'll survive until I get a new Volt/Leaf rather than worrying about whether in the winter I'll have to drive in a freezing cold car to make it the 40 miles one way. And it will never be more than a commuter car without a QC port at this range level.

@blownb310 - Yes, but those same people are also mostly in CA, where they got rebates to knock the price down, enjoy HOV access which is big for them, and are MUCH less plagued by range issues as a factor of more charging stations and the warmer temps. Generally speaking, this car would have been a VERY hard sell to someone on East coast for $389/mo & 12k miles/yr...

There were 2 others listed in CA on cars.com Monday that are no longer on there, curious to know the story behind them...

Fit EV #163 - delivered 7/16/13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:36 am 

I totally get that this experience sucks and no matter how we try to justify it, its not the way anyone expects to have a business transaction be handled. I do recall that when I signed my lease at the same dealership they told me that they were new at this and it could be entirely possible that they would get something wrong in the way that they wrote up the paper work and that they may need me to re-sign it. The big difference there is that they didn't say that they were going to come back and change the terms on me. Now I don't think that this dealer has done anything underhanded, except for maybe the salesman being to eager to close a deal without getting all the facts.

I hope that they are able to come to an agreement that both parties can live with. The FitEV is a wonderful car and fits my driving needs. When they offer the 2 year lease extension I will take it. Even though I've had 50 days this year that I could not use the FitEV for my commute (I used my old ICE car) I still come out ahead over having a new ICE car payment and paying for gas. Even if I rented an economy ICE for the days that I could not drive the FitEV for my commute, the FitEV lease will still let me save more money in a year than if I bought a new ICE car.

Fit EV #425

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 am 

@ jtpassat - $389 is no longer the retail price if it is impossible for you to pay it. The price was permanently lowered, and we are not talking about a jewelry store or Kohl's where Tuesday night at 11pm is the only time they don't have a sale running. And $199 will become the new price for everyone signing a new lease or extension in July too, so its not like I'm just pulling some number out of my rear and expected them to honor it for me 'because I'm special' or something. Either way that's a poor argument. Almost every new technology comes down in price with time - anyone who waits to buy it obviously doesn't care what the price of an Xbox or whatever was 2 years ago. Simple economics - some assign a higher value to something for one reason or another and are willing to be first and don't mind the higher price, others don't and wait.

RE: commute in the winter, I'll be keeping my old ICE Accord as its not going to be worth any less in a year or two, and plan to take that whenever necessary due to temp/range. Also didn't mention I have an L2 charger at work so just need to make it the 40 miles one-way before charging.

@deshpak - right, if they said "hey we need you to sign this other list of reasons why the car is special purpose etc", no big deal. Obviously this is a much larger change.

I'm in a holding pattern with both parties and probably won't respond again until this is settled.

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

Last edited by jfon101231 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 am 
Site Moderator

deshpak wrote:
Now I don't think that this dealer has done anything underhanded, except for maybe the salesman being to eager to close a deal without getting all the facts.
This goes back to the first post where jfon admitted that he rushed them into the sale, after they initially tried to delay him to "get things lined up" first.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:17 am 

I never intended to rush them into a deal that wasn't available, I simply was afraid they would rather sell it to someone local than some guy from out of state and I wasn't afraid to wait a little while in the dealership for them to do the paperwork. I've been burned in similar situations before where someone is 'holding' something for me then poof, its gone, "sorry". There was NEVER any indication that the deal itself didn't exist or anything of that nature before I went or even the day I signed paperwork.

To bring closure - they honored the price, and it did come with the EVSE. It did take nearly 2 months from when I picked the car up to get everything settled and the car to get a valid registration...

But, I absolutely LOVE the car, so it was all worth it :)

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 pm 

jfon101231 wrote:
...But, I absolutely LOVE the car, so it was all worth it :)

The best news is your enjoying the car. Glad you stuck with it and it turned out well. Bond while it’s warm, you may need it come winter ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 pm 

Lol yeah. I kept my old 98 Accord with 328k miles to be my winter ride as its 38 mi each way though there is L2 at work.

Honda Fit EV 2014 #287

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:32 am 

stevestrange wrote:
Let's say I'm 1 year into a Fit EV lease at $259. I decide "no thanks" and terminate the lease (my understanding is that this is pretty easy to do without cost).

I'd like to know how to do this. I haven't found an easy way to do it without paying a boat load of money. The FEV just doesn't work for us when the temperature drops. Not really looking forward to next winter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:22 am 

I have leased a used 2014 Fit EV. Drive-off was about $500. Lease payments are $214.
This is my second Fit EV. The original was leased in January of 2013. When the lease ran out in January of 2016, I extended for 24 months.
Unfortunately, in April of this year, I was involved in an accident. The damage was only to the rear hatch and bumper, but Honda decided to total the car anyway. After a long struggle to get Honda Financial to stop billing me for lease payments, I finally got things straightened out, and then found that the local dealer where I leased the car was offering re-lease deals. The car has a new battery and new tires, but only 8500 miles on the odometer. I had about 22,000 on the old one.

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13