Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when will honda make fit available for sale.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30 am 

I am a current Fit owner who lives in Texas, and would not consider leasing. I would trade my Fit to buy a Fit EV in a second. does anyone know if Honda has plans to sell the Fit EV any time soon.
I know Honda monitor these forums, maybe they have an answer.

Post subject: Re: when will honda make fit available for sale.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 pm 

Fit EV production will end at 1,100 units. No successor currently announced (or anticipated) :( Honda To Exit BEV Segment as Automaker Re-Confirms Fit EV Production Will End This Fall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Moderator

Honda, this is what I, for one, do NOT want in 2016 (yes, I know that's the plan, but this is my vote):

The convenience (and cost savings) of a BEV that I can just plug in at home and power from solar power means FCEVs make no sense at all. The nearest public hydrogen station to me is oh, 700 miles away. Refueling would be expected to cost about the same as gasoline. And the price of the car itself is likely to be sky-high. I don't see any of that changing any time soon.

Yes, the FCEV has long range and quick refueling (hence earns more CARB credits), but in practice the Fit EV meets almost all my needs, as is.

So Honda please... just give us an updated Fit EV with a little more range, especially for those of us in cold climes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:32 am 

I would drive the FCEV, if Honda also provided a method for creating my own hydrogen at home. Aplying electricity to water will produce hydrogen gas. Of course it would be a little more complicated than that. But being able to get the mileage we want and able to create our on fuel at home....priceless.

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 am 
Site Moderator

You mean something like this?

Sure - if Honda were to essentially give me a free hydrogen filling station and a nearly-free fuel cell car (i.e. same price range as current Fit EV lease), and it performed well in New England winters, I'd consider it. But my understanding of the current state of fuel-cell and hydrogen-filling technology is that they are frightfully expensive - so I'd assume it unlikely that Honda would invest some $100k or more per car to make it interesting to early adopters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:35 am 

Thanks for the info. I found this article which explains how the whole thing works, which is kind of interesting. Honda's partnership with PlugPower is pretty cool too since PlugPower is located right here in Albany, NY. Oddly enough practicaly accross the street from the Honda dealer I picked up my Fit EV from.

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/FCX/station/

I do wish Honda would develop other solutions not based on Natural Gas, especially when the price of Natural Gas increased by 400% this past winter.

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 pm 

I can't believe that Honda and Toyota have bought into the Fool Cell scam. That's what Elon Muxk calls it, and I agree.
There are so many reason why hydrogen will NOTNOTNOT become the "fuel" for future vehicles that I will not even list them.
Google and you will see. I put "fuel" in quotes for a reason. Hydrogen is not a fuel. It is an energy carrier, just as electricity is. But the difference is that producing hydrogen, compressing it, trucking it to a "fueling" station, etc...is far less energy efficient than just using the juice to run the car...because a Fool Cell car is an EV. Going through all that monkey motion to make the electricity is horrendously wasteful.
Yes, you can theoretically get a longer range...if you can find a place to refill the high-pressure tank...a potential BOMB in your car, far more dangerous than the overhyped fire danger from lithium batteries.
I can't believe that fuel cells are even being considered as a viable alternative. Batteries are improving rapidly, and within a year, 200 mile range will be commonplace...far more than most people need for 99% of their driving. For the other 1%...when they want to drive cross-country...they can rent a car. Battery recharging stations cost a fraction of hydrogen stations.
Why are people even considering Fool Cells? They are ABSURD!!!

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:48 pm 

bigelowrs wrote:
...I can't believe that fuel cells are even being considered as a viable alternative. Batteries are improving rapidly, and within a year, 200 mile range will be commonplace...

Because CARB rules attach a big incentive to Hydrogen. CARB ZEV Program Changes "The ZEV credit maximum raises to 9 credits, provided the vehicle can refuel in 15 minutes and has a range of 300 miles."

I read Jeffery Rothfeder’s “Driving Honda”, and it seems Honda has been working on Fuel Cells for a long time. A contrarian company since the CVCC days, they like integrated, engineered, internal solutions, especially if they are proprietary. The core technology for BEV’s is held by the battery manufacturer (Panasonic, Toshiba, A123, LG Chem, etc.). This cuts into profitability of the vehicle manufacturer. Honda really wants to own a breakthrough patent in Fuel Cells as a long term replacement for their core competency, ICE. Completely understandable long term strategy. It is probably frustrating that it consistently remains 10-20 years in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 pm 

Yeah, EV's have an uphill battle. Oil companies hate them and, as you say, car companies hate them because a major cost component is outside of their control. Tesla has a partial answer...become a battery supplier...and hopefully a battery technology leader.
Honda can be a technology leader in fuel cells, but it still doesn't solve the myriad problems of producing, storing and transporting hydrogen to a countrywide infrastructure of expensive filling stations. The incentives that the Japanese government offer for fuel cell vehicles are ill-conceived. I predict that fuel cell cars will always be 25 years in the future.
BEV's were like that for a long time...but their time has finally come. One battery breakthrough and ICE-powered cars will be history. Fuel cell cars will require a number of breakthroughs...and an expensive infrastructure.

Fit EV #234
Acquired 1-28-13