Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Errror Code C3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:39 am 

I have been experiencing for frequent "incomplete charges" and getting Error Code C3 when I try to charge the battery.
For example, this morning I checked the charge on the remote and it registered 77%. When I tried to charge the battery, I got Error Code C3. Curiously, I could start the cabin fan to warm the car up before driving it. Inside temp was 59 F. The battery is set automatically start charging at 0030 hours after midnight and is set to "FULL".
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Post subject: Re: Errror Code C3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 am 

I did occasionally during the first year - even though it was plugged in, it would not charge as scheduled at night and gave me a C3 error when I tried to kick off a manual charge in the morning. If I re-seated the charger plug and tried again, it would start charging. My charger had a little foam piece inside the connection plug that fell out one day and I have not had the problem since. I think it was occasionally preventing the charger plug from making full contact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 am 

C3, I believe, can also mean that one of the doors isn't shut. Exactly what that has to do with charging is a mystery to me, but there we are.

If it's the plug, then it's likely the proximity signal.

If you push the latch button on just about any J1772 plug and listen closely you can hear a switch click inside. That switch is wired to one of the two small pins in the plug end. It notifies the car if the latch is not fully engaged or if it opens during charging. If you don't get the proximity switch to close, that will prevent charging. If your proximity switch or pin is damaged or malfunctioning, then that could explain it as well.

Sometimes, the gasket on the plug can make it difficult to get the plug in far enough for the latch to fully close. I find that giving a gentle tug upwards on the handle helps push the latch end further in allowing it to engage.

The proximity line gives the car a warning that the plug is about to be pulled. The spec allows only a few hundred milliseconds for the car to reduce the current draw on a proximity transition. This prevents the hot lines from arcing if the plug is yanked out, which helps extend the lifespan of the plug and precludes any possibility of a spark igniting any flammable vapors (yes, I know, it's an EV. But still, people charge in garages).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:20 am 

Great info nsayer.

I used to have problems where the car wouldn't charge from time to time when I plugged it in so I contacted Leviton. They were very courteous and helpful, but this issue sounds like it is more the car then the charger.
Best of luck.

2014 Fit EV #351
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm 

MorganHillGuy wrote:
I have been experiencing for frequent "incomplete charges" and getting Error Code C3 when I try to charge the battery.
For example, this morning I checked the charge on the remote and it registered 77%. When I tried to charge the battery, I got Error Code C3. Curiously, I could start the cabin fan to warm the car up before driving it. Inside temp was 59 F. The battery is set automatically start charging at 0030 hours after midnight and is set to "FULL".
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I am having this problem since i got a new Leviton charging unit. The car doesn't charge when plugged in (its set to charge immediately) and the remote gives a C3 error, and when i push the Charge button in the app, it sends the request, and 2 mins later says "Charge request failed"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:46 am 

I've had my car for about 3 weeks. I also received Error C3 yesterday. I noticed it didn't start charging at 10PM as scheduled, so I tried to start manually.
Owner's manual says "is it connected?" and "is the key in the ignition?" for C1 and C2. Of course C3 is "if it's not the other two, time for service!"

I "started" the car, rolled back 5', and forward 5'. It was able to charge just fine after that.
Will obviously be keeping on eye on this.

[EDIT] Of course yesterday was the day my I returned the Focus Electric at the end of it's lease. Funny timing

2013 Fit EV #257 (replaced 2014 Focus Electric)
2015 C-Max Energi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:28 pm 

I finally figured out my issue: the plugin connection to the car is new from Leviton after the old box blew, and the spring for the blue latch button is probably not as strong as the old one. So, when plugging in, the latch wasn't fully engaging the proximity sensor (even though you could hear it click in) and just gently pulling up the blue latch button starts the charging... Very irritating!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:40 pm 
Site Moderator

Thank you for following up. I'm glad you found it. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/