Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Cold Batteries, Crap Range
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 pm 

I'm not looking forward to the really cold weather! Who can beat this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed1s6nw62i9i66c/2013-11-14%2019.41.51.png

1987 Zender Widebody Mercedes 560SEC | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Post subject: Re: Cold Batteries, Crap Range
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Moderator

Wow, 12% left on that iPhone battery is pretty low. Can't say that I get there often at all. :lol:

But seriously - what mode was the car in when showing those 37 miles? And what temperatures have you been experiencing? I haven't seen the range drop below 50 yet, with temperatures starting out in the mid-20s in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 pm 

Temps have been well above freezing, maybe high 30s, and when I last drove the car it was in normal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:03 pm 

Wow that's low. How much driving in normal did you do and what kind of m/kWh were you seeing? My lowest so far was 52 miles after charging in low 20s temps.

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 pm 

Let me be more clear.... the "tank" previous to the current charge was used up on a 40-ish mile trip yesterday, all in ECO, except the last two miles in which I was in SPORT... for the fun of it.

I don't pay attention to m/kWh, but I will.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:42 pm 

What is the highest range you have had since you got the car?
40 ish seems really low… could be something with your battery.

If it is true that the cold weather will result in battery range in low 40's, then I guess it is true, the oil cartels will have nothing, absolutely nothing to worry about, these EV's will never go mainstream! :shock: Or baby Beamers got the right idea, with the range extender. :)

Wonder what the Research Center in Japan is thinks about this. :?:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Moderator

I'm still getting 70's and it's 18 degrees here this morning. I do keep the car inside though and I've only turned on the heater once - just to see if it worked. Otherwise, I wear warm gloves and long johns and am comfortable enough using just the seat heater for my short 11 mile ride to work. I always drive conservatively for best efficiency. All of these things add up to determine your car's range prediction. My lifetime miles/kWh is still 5.1 [5,040 miles].

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 am 

LukeColorado wrote:
Let me be more clear.... the "tank" previous to the current charge was used up on a 40-ish mile trip yesterday, all in ECO, except the last two miles in which I was in SPORT... for the fun of it.

I don't pay attention to m/kWh, but I will.

That last bit in Sport no doubt caused the guess-o-meter to knock your range down. I've seen this with mine.

Mike, wow, still at 5.1 :o Garaging it clearly helps. Even with mine parked outdoors in the 20s I haven't seen m/kWh under 3.4. I have to say that so far the heater seems really great. I never have it above 2 fan bars and often it's at 1.

Drew

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 pm 

Yeah, I went from range nearing 100 in normal in the summer to range at about 50 miles while in eco now that it's winter. I cycle the heat on maybe once during a trip when my hands or feet are just too cold, the rest of the time I use the seat warmer and bear the cold. The huge killer for me isn't so much using the heat, but that I have to use the headlights since it is dark so much earlier. Headlights + heat on in 35 degree weather and I will probably be in the 40 mile range :(

Fit EV #355
Leased 6-23-2013

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 am 

This is my second winter with the Fit EV. Last winter I was much more cautious with trying to maximize range but that got old quick. If I drive it like a normal car (65-70 mph, heat to comfortable temp, defrost when needed, headlights in both commute directions, wipers in the rain), I've never seen less than 55 miles usable range but typically not more than 60. It seems very consistent so you quickly understand the limitations of the car and only use it within that range in the winter and switch to an ICE for the rest. As a cheap lease, it has worked OK. If I actually spent retail for the car, I'd have a serious case of buyers remorse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next