Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone here from Lexington, Massachusetts area?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:49 pm 

Today on the way home I saw a fit Ev today in Lexington Massachusetts as I took the corner near Stop and Shop.
I was kind of psyched to see it and I even waved at the guy.....maybe it's one of you out there....

Any of you live / drive in that area....did I see you? :-)

-Quentin

Post subject: Re: Anyone here from Lexington, Massachusetts area?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:12 pm 

I don't know that I would have been near Lexington that day, but I do live in Concord!

Fit EV #179

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:37 pm 

RoscoPSK wrote:
I don't know that I would have been near Lexington that day, but I do live in Concord!

Wow.I wasn't sure there were other Fit EV people in Mass.....in fact, I am still n the waiting list for car #229 currently at Kelly Honday waiting an airbag recall repair. I live in Leicester (out near Worcester) but I work in Burlington, and do shop for a family in Lexington.....I saw this Fit EV a few weeks ago and I got excited.

Anyways....are there any get-togethers of Fit EV folks...or perhaps EV folks in general in Mass....or maybe New England? Also....how have you found range and usability in the the winter? I spoke to the original lease holder of the car I will be getting and he tried to convince me to forget about Electric cars in New England....and as an Engineer, I totally appreciate the challenges....so I consider it a challenge and it will make use of the car that much more interesting.......any thoughts? How long is your commute.....mine is between 49 and 60 miles long depending on how I go....highway or back roads. I do have charging at work....so I think this will work out except maybe in the coldest of days.

Anyways...I hope to get into my car #229 soon!

-Quentin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:38 am 
Site Moderator

Hey Quentin, that's a lot of questions in one post! Let's see if I can answer them....

I estimate there's about 30 Fit EVs in the Greater Boston area. Probably a few more if you count all of Massachusetts.

I think I'm the one who's organized the one Fit EV get-together in the area to date - Mass. and RI - see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=386.

For general EV get-togethers... check out National Drive Electric Week at https://driveelectricweek.org/events.php. Looks like there's an event scheduled at WPI on September 13th. Also check the New England chapter of the Electric Auto Association at http://neeaa.org. Their next event is August 5th in Auburn.

49-60 miles is not realistic at all, in my experience, for most of the winter in the area. It's definitely going to be "interesting". I'm sure Mike can provide lots of good tips.

Good luck!

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:54 pm 

igbright wrote:
Hey Quentin, that's a lot of questions in one post! Let's see if I can answer them....

I estimate there's about 30 Fit EVs in the Greater Boston area. Probably a few more if you count all of Massachusetts.

I think I'm the one who's organized the one Fit EV get-together in the area to date - Mass. and RI - see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=386.

For general EV get-togethers... check out National Drive Electric Week at https://driveelectricweek.org/events.php. Looks like there's an event scheduled at WPI on September 13th. Also check the New England chapter of the Electric Auto Association at http://neeaa.org. Their next event is August 5th in Auburn.

49-60 miles is not realistic at all, in my experience, for most of the winter in the area. It's definitely going to be "interesting". I'm sure Mike can provide lots of good tips.

Good luck!

Alan

I knew about the Drive Electric Week event in September, but I appreciate the heads-up on the local NEEAA chapter event in Auburn....that is very close to me....like one or two towns away!

So you say that 49 to 60 miles is nor realistic at all.....I am curious what your experience is? I have heard stories of 25 miles MAX range, but that was always a situation that included the use of heat, which I can appreciate is a HUGE battery hog. (as those of us who have electric baseboard heaters know....I replaced mine with heatpumps in my recently purchased Conway, NH home and the
efficiency gain is incredible....but I digress)

I will be changing at both ends......you don't think that I can get 49 miles on a cold day? (lucky for me I can work from home I suppose...though not every day) :-)

-Quentin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:45 am 

Quentin, do you have a heated garage for the Fit? That could make a big difference in the winter. I don't and in upstate NY, in very cold temps (below 11 degrees) I've seen range fall to 25-30 miles. Lots of experience here, so check the threads. There is the possibility that the GOM isn't accurate in very cold temps. I've been unwilling to risk it. The heated seats are toasty, though, especially on high, which I rarely use because it can get too hot.

Drew

Fit #446
Deposit put down 6-11-13
Picked up 7-18-13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:47 am 
Site Moderator

Same here. My Fit was driveway-bound - no garage here. With no heat and the most conservative approach to energy management, 35 miles was pushing my luck on really cold days. I got used to using no heat at all if the outside temperature was below about 45. But even with a 12-mile round trip commute the car was a driveway ornament on those zero-degree days we get on occasion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:38 am 

igbright wrote:
Same here. My Fit was driveway-bound - no garage here. With no heat and the most conservative approach to energy management, 35 miles was pushing my luck on really cold days. I got used to using no heat at all if the outside temperature was below about 45. But even with a 12-mile round trip commute the car was a driveway ornament on those zero-degree days we get on occasion.

OUCH......35 miles is VERY short range indeed!

This is the best route I could find that would make the total trip 46.4 miles, and affords me a stop at a Chargepoint at the Maynard Town Hall:
http://tinyurl.com/QUENTIN-EV

Here is what the Chargepoint map says:

Town of Maynard
12 Summer St
Maynard, MA
26.70 miles to Leicester, MA 01524, USA

My map shows it as 32.3 miles away:
http://tinyurl.com/QUENTIN-TO-MAYNARD-CHARGEPOINT

Yes....at 35 miles, this will be very difficult! (and that is just one direction...though I guess I could also get away with it in the other direction)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 am 
Site Moderator

Do you have an attached garage Quentin? Mine is well insulated and the gallon jugs of water on the floor do not freeze, so I'd say that it stays above 32 degrees in there. If your car will sit outside, it will not work out for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:15 pm 

blownb310 wrote:
Do you have an attached garage Quentin? Mine is well insulated and the gallon jugs of water on the floor do not freeze, so I'd say that it stays above 32 degrees in there. If your car will sit outside, it will not work out for you.

Well...this does not sound good for me then....at least in my Leicester home. It is a very old house, and while I have a garage, it is not strong enough to support a car. (it has a basement under it and being so old, the floor timbers are not strong enough....though I can get a motorcycle, lawn tractor and a few other things in their w/o fear of collapse) My house in Conway has a garage under, but I don't "live" there.

Besides, the issue would come to a head with my parking at work......I definitely have no garage there and it is often cold in the middle of the day as well as at night.

I have given thought to trying to pre-heat the battery before use and/or charging.....I realize it has significant thermal mass, and that doing that might not make any sense. (or even be practical / possible) So in that regard, would I get longer range if I :
1) Charged with a warmed battery, allowed it to get ice cold and then drove on it in the morning
2) Charged the ice cold battery, but warmed it just before I took off. (yes, understading that the thermal mass of the battery probably does not lend itself quick warming.

One other sort of tactical question is whether I want to put the car on charge right after gettiing home since the battery has probably been warmed from its use on the way home.... If it accepts more energy a that point then in the morning when its temperature would have sunk to it's lowest.....on the other hand, charging itself heats the batteries....so it might make sense to charge in the morning which might heat the battery for more efficient discharge right off the line.

I realize that cold is NOT that batteries friend.....so neither of those might be an advantage.

I am sure people have tried everything......I am probably doing to reinvent the wheel that people have worked on.