Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Out of state leasing?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm 

I live in Seattle. I want a Fit EV given its reviews and the latest, screaming lease deal. I'd be willing to risk having to schlepp the car back to Beaverton, Oregon (the closest Fit EV-certified dealer to Seattle) in the off case that it breaks.

How would I go about leasing a Fit EV out of state, as it were? Does the lessee have to have an in-state drivers license? Just an in-state address? (My parents live in Oregon, and I could conceivably even re-license myself in Oregon if it came to that.) Would Honda Financial care which address I provided them? Would I have to go through the dealer closest to my partially-fictional Oregon address (ie, SW Oregon in my case), or could I go anywhere in the state (ie, Beaverton)?

I'll give the local-to-my-parents Oregon dealer a call tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had advice or relevant experience in the interim.

Post subject: Re: Out of state leasing?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm 

In particular, I'm curious as to what this language means, from http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/drive-fit-ev.aspx :

Quote:
Subject to limited availability through October 2014 in designated market regions on approved credit through American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2013 Honda Fit EV for well-qualified lessees meeting specific use and operation requirements. Not all applicants will qualify.

"Meeting specific use and operation requirements" sounds a bit ominous and ill-defined…

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:36 am 

I think that's the "out" for them to say "no" if your commute is too long or you live too far away from a dealership that is set up to support you.

For instance, there's free roadside assistance. They'll tow you to a dealer that can repair the car if it becomes undriveable. But if the nearest dealer that has a service department set up to handle the EV is 200 miles away, that's not going to be practical.

Or, if your daily commute is 70 miles one-way (don't scoff - those sorts of people exist) and there's no charger at the office, then that's not going to work out so well either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 pm 

Fair enough. Since the website screen process let me through by putting my parents' Oregon coast zip code in, I'm going to assume that all is kosher as far as distance from dealer, etc. (even though the car wouldn't be physically stored there, ever, but that's a separate issue).

American Honda Credit also pre-approved me, based upon that address, so all that's left is to test drive the car (doing so at a NJ dealer with a demo vehicle tomorrow), obtain an Oregon drivers license through hook and crook, and hurry up and wait via Beaverton Honda in northern Oregon/closest to Seattle.

Update: NJ car's sold, so I may not be able to test drive one for quite a while/without quite the hassle.