Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Leviton 240v charger Blew Up!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:49 pm 

So, FINALLY, received the new charger... About a month after the first blew up... The Leviton people say i must have had a 'sustained over Voltage' for the Varistor to blow up... I have lots of other sensitive electrical equipment that was not affected in any way, and there were no storms or nearby ConEd work... VERY strange... Glad the little wire tie at the bottom stopped the door flying open, and just charred the inside of the door and the circuit board!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:56 am 

Might be worth it to check the line voltage at the plug for the EVSE.

This article is written about HVAC equipment, but is still informative:
https://www.acdoctor.com/blog/overvoltage-cause-damage/

I can see where a long duration overvoltage might affect a high current/load device more than other household electronics. Did this happen during a charging session? Or when the unit was "idle"?

It's possible that a combination of a weak varistor and some amount of overvoltage led to your small pyrotechnic event.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:25 pm 
Site Moderator

I think the title of this thread is a bit of an exaggeration. The varistor 'popped' would be more appropriate. If that little wire seal tab held the door shut, it didn't "blow up."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 pm 

blownb310 wrote:
I think the title of this thread is a bit of an exaggeration. The varistor 'popped' would be more appropriate. If that little wire seal tab held the door shut, it didn't "blow up."

Agreed, but it did let the magic smoke out.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:58 pm 

kkm757 wrote:
So, FINALLY, received the new charger... About a month after the first blew up... The Leviton people say i must have had a 'sustained over Voltage' for the Varistor to blow up... I have lots of other sensitive electrical equipment that was not affected in any way, and there were no storms or nearby ConEd work... VERY strange... Glad the little wire tie at the bottom stopped the door flying open, and just charred the inside of the door and the circuit board!!

Seems like your Leviton was out of warranty, nice of them to send you a new one.

If you don't have any way to check your voltage, some smart meters will display it, or you can call your electric provider to check it (you may have to tell them Leviton says it's too high.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:05 am 

Hi

My charger also blew up. I could see some smoke. I worked with Mikhail and he never confirmed what the issue was but just said, it is not repairable and I have to buy a new one. I checked with my utility and there was no power surge within the neighborhood. Has anyone been able to get a replacement from Leviton and what did you specifically ask for please?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 pm 

14FITEV wrote:
Hi

My charger also blew up. I could see some smoke. I worked with Mikhail and he never confirmed what the issue was but just said, it is not repairable and I have to buy a new one. I checked with my utility and there was no power surge within the neighborhood. Has anyone been able to get a replacement from Leviton and what did you specifically ask for please?

Thanks

Is it really out of warranty? I thought they had 3 year warranty(ies). 10 years if installed by a Leviton partner electrician.

If necessary, there are plenty of reasonably priced EVSEs on the market now ... you might even find one on Craigslist.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:20 am 

Folks,

The warranty is for 3 years. I have an update on my situation.

First, Thank you to other owners who posted their issues with the charger and took time to post that Leviton replaced their charger. Armed with this information I made another request to Leviton and Mikael was kind to reconsider and agree to fix and ship my charger back to me.

Second, I would like to commend Leviton on their service because they were able to reconsider their original decision and do the right thing by repairing my charger. In addition they also gave me a coupon to buy a Surge protector to avoid future issues with sustained over voltage.

Waiting for UPS delivery :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 am 

Hey - just reading this. Mikhail got pretty testy with me when I pushed for the cause of the varistor blowup and asked how many other cases they had experienced so far...
I saw a site moderator didn't think it was a big deal, but i wasn't home and have pics of the charring on inside of the door - its definitely worrying.
I'm glad Mikhail seems to have treated you better and offered to replace the unit without too much hassle...
My replacement unit had a weak spring holding the charger head in the car, so unless the blue button was pulled up, it just wouldnt charge (and took time to figure out!)

14FITEV wrote:
Hi

Thanks