Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clarity EV free (fast) charging?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 pm 

SportMode247 wrote:
That's a bummer. I accidentally broke the connector on my current Leviton charger and don't feel like paying $500 for a replacement. Was hoping this lease deal included the level 2 charger.

I'll probably end up getting the 2 year lease deals currently on the FitEV since it comes with a charger.

You should be able to get a replacement cord (with J plug) for far less than $500. In fact, a whole new EVSE for less than $500. Try Amazon, particularly
their used section (warehousedeals.com) , as people tend to buy the cable and return it disappointed it doesn't include the whole EVSE. Make sure to get the L2 cord and connector, the one rated for 32 Amps. Leviton also sells a L1 cord ... I helped them get Amazon to correct the description of that one.

Not sure this is the 32A version, but there's a cord listed today at under $120.
Search "Leviton A2034-PEV 30-Amp Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charge Connector with 20-Feet Cord" ... in warehousedeals.com.

Last edited by srl99 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 pm 

Renewing my original question (when) will Honda include free L3 charging like many other manufacturers do?

For a limited range vehicle like the Clarity EV, this would make a big difference to a lot of people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm 

srl99 wrote:
SportMode247 wrote:
That's a bummer. I accidentally broke the connector on my current Leviton charger and don't feel like paying $500 for a replacement. Was hoping this lease deal included the level 2 charger.

I'll probably end up getting the 2 year lease deals currently on the FitEV since it comes with a charger.

You should be able to get a replacement cord (with J plug) for far less than $500. In fact, a whole new EVSE for less than $500. Try Amazon, particularly
their used section (warehousedeals.com) , as people tend to buy the cable and return it disappointed it doesn't include the whole EVSE. Make sure to get the L2 cord and connector, the one rated for 32 Amps. Leviton also sells a L1 cord ... I helped them get Amazon to correct the description of that one.

Not sure this is the 32A version, but there's a cord listed today at under $120.
Search "Leviton A2034-PEV 30-Amp Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charge Connector with 20-Feet Cord" ... in warehousedeals.com.

Thanks for the advice but I did previously look into this exact cord. My question is, how do I get this thing installed?

Apparently the end is just a cut wire. I called the manufacturer and the rep said you just splice the new to the old cord and that it was a simple job. I then called 2 electricians to see if they knew how to replace just the cord and neither one would do it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:41 am 

I almost think hiring an electrician to do this job is overkill. Leviton would know the interior of their EVSE, but I believe there
are only two possibilities. 1. (most likely) - the stripped ends of the wires go to a screw down connection inside the EVSE.
2. There are some sort of crimp "lugs" on the end of the cable. Getting those (32A connections) crimped correctly can be
challenging - requires the correct tool and experienced operator.

A qualified "electrical handiman" should be able to do the job.

Can you open up the EVSE box and post a photo of where the cable connects to the electronics?

(By the way - another _possibility_ is to send the parts to Leviton, who has given quite a lot of personal service to Fit EV drivers
over the years, does your EVSE have a plug? If you make contact with them, they may offer to do this for you.)

SportMode247 wrote:
srl99 wrote:
SportMode247 wrote:

Thanks for the advice but I did previously look into this exact cord. My question is, how do I get this thing installed?

Apparently the end is just a cut wire. I called the manufacturer and the rep said you just splice the new to the old cord and that it was a simple job. I then called 2 electricians to see if they knew how to replace just the cord and neither one would do it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am 

I'm in SoCal (92806) and could repair it with your parts for the cost of a meal. Especially if I don't have to travel too far. PM me

'13 Honda Fit EV #165 (returned)
'14 Honda Fit EV #289 (totaled after 14K m)
'13 Honda Fit EV #26 (totaled after 22K m)
'70 Buick GS 455 Stg. 1 Ragtop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 am 

srl99 - Thanks for the advice. I'll try to contact Leviton and get some pics tonight.

Darkstarchuck - Thanks for the offer, pm'd you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm 

SportMode247 wrote:
srl99 - Thanks for the advice. I'll try to contact Leviton and get some pics tonight.

Just don't let Darkstarchuck borrow your Fit :=). They're rare enough, already...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:09 am 

srl99 wrote:
SportMode247 wrote:

Just don't let Darkstarchuck borrow your Fit :=). They're rare enough, already...

Thanks for the endorsement, Sam..... I my defence, my wife was driving the first one, and, the second, I neglected to see the guy running the red light.

:o

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:31 am 

@Darkstarchuck - It was nice meeting you and your buddies this weekend. Thanks again for your help repairing my charger. It was tough trying to charge 2 EV's at home with only a level 1 charger.

@srl99 - no, I didn't let Darkstarchuck any where near my car...I still have about 9 months remaining on my lease :D :D :D . I'll definitely check out the Clarity lease once I turn in the Fit. If it's under $1000 down and 199/mo, it sounds like a good deal to me. Especially with the 20k miles. I've been averaging 18k miles with the Fit.