Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The power control board went bad in my 2014 Fit EV #0369
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 pm 

I plugged my car in one night and the next morning it hadn't charged. The check power system message was illuminated on the dashboard and the power system dummy light was also lit. I tried a different charger to see if the charger was the problem but neither could get the car to charge. I took it to the local certified EV dealer and they determined it was the power control board that is located under the large cover on top of the motor in the motor compartment. It took a week to get a replacement board and the cost of the board listed on the paperwork was $9500. They replaced the board and all is well again.

2014 Fit EV#369
1971 Ford Bronco Half-Cab

Post subject: Re: The power control board went bad in my 2014 Fit EV #0369
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 pm 

Darn! After 5 years of trouble free service I may have finally run into a problem.

Last night my wife's car was in the garage where our Leviton L2 charger is, so I parked the Fit-EV outside and used the supplied L1 charger. Much to my surprise an hour later I noticed that the green light next to the filler door was not on. So I unplugged the charger and got in the car and turned it on to see if it had recharged already. A few lights came on and then a message came up saying "Please unplug charger cable" or something to that effect. But the cable was already unplugged and the door was closed! Really strange. So I got out and replugged it to see if that would make a difference. When I turned it on, all the usual lights came on for about a second or two and then went off. Leaving only the TPS light, the ABS and a couple others.

I didn't have time to deal with it then so I shut it off and went inside.

After my wife left this morning, I tried to turn the Fit back on and it acted completely normal. It told me I had 42% battery left. So I drove it inside so I could plug it into the L2 to charge it so I could go to work. When plugged it in, it tried to initiate a charge but after 10 or seconds the green light by the filler door went off. When I tried to start the car, some problem as earlier: All lights come on for a second or two and then most of them go off and I never get the "Ready to drive" screen. No error messages, nothing.

I get the impression that it is also the power control board even thought my symptoms were slightly different.

Anyone else ran into the same problem?

2014 Fit-EV #097

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:59 pm 

Actually, here is a crazy idea... It wouldn't have anything to do with the 12v battery by any chance, would it? It is still the original one.

On an ICE car, it is pretty clear where the battery role starts and ends. But on an EV, I am not sure where that demarcation line is.... Could it be that the 12v battery powers the charging control module and and that it doesn't have enough juice to stay awake? My gut feeling is that the problem is deeper than that. I would have thought that f it was something that simple, the car would have given me a message to that effect. But since it is still the original 12v, you never know...

Can you hook up a standard trickle charger to the 12v battery in this car? Or will that screw other things up?

Thank you.

2014 Fit-EV #097

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:20 am 
Site Moderator

Bmachine wrote:

Can you hook up a standard trickle charger to the 12v battery in this car? Or will that screw other things up?

Thank you.
It's probably just the 12v battery. Yes, you can hook up a simple trickle charger to verify that is it before you go to WalMart and buy a 151R size battery for it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 am 

Thanks very much Mike.

Yes I had a spare battery that I used to jump the car last night and it did start charging normally. So this may have been that simple.

I went to Costco last night but they do not carry the 151r size. So I may have to go to the dealer as I do not have a Walmart nearby.

2014 Fit-EV #097