Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info on 12v battery replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 am 

This is probably too late for most people but, just in case, here is some info I have gathered about the 12v battery: Maybe it will help someone at some point.

- Unlike an ICE car, the symptoms of a dead 12v are sometimes fairly obsure. In my case, the car simply would not charge anymore. When turning the "ignition" on, all lights would come on and then 90% would go off without any error message.

- Jumping the battery with another car or battery would allow charging to resume normally until a new battery could be installed.

- The battery size is 151r. It is a very small battery and no other size works in that tight space.

- Not many places carry that size. Costco does not. But Walmart, Pep Boys and Interstate dealer appear to carry them. They range from $130 (Champion battery at Pep Boys) to $200+ (dealership)

- Obviously Honda dealers carry that size also but they are $160 plus $20 core plus $40 installation. For some reason my dealer did not want to sell it without installation. Needless to say I turned right back and left.

- There is no credit for the Fit-EV if you are replacing the original 12v battery. Only if you are replacing a replacement battery bought at the dealership. So I see not advantage at all in going to the dealer. I just got a cheap Champion at Pepe Boys.

2014 Fit-EV #097