Honda Fit EV Forum and Electric Car Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodbye lovely EV...!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 am 

So sad to be returning Blue Ghost #493, known as Evie in the family.

~55k miles, 4.5 years of pretty faultless operation in warm and cold weather...

Range indicator sucked - we once did 20+ miles beyond the 0 indicator!

Loved the roominess, abilty to park in tight spaces and the general nippyness of the FitEV.. You will be missed!! :cry:

Post subject: Re: Goodbye lovely EV...!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm 

Turned in 2013 Fit EV #268 in May for a 2018 Clarity Electric.

Over 5 years the Fit had 74k trouble free miles except for the recall on the airbags.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 pm 

what is the procedure in returning the car----did they check the car closely for dents, scratches, etc. Did you have to return the 120V charging cable?

My car now has 75000 miles (4.9 years).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm 

nylpug wrote:
what is the procedure in returning the car----did they check the car closely for dents, scratches, etc. Did you have to return the 120V charging cable?

For mine, they did not check closely but I think it was in pretty good shape for 5 years and almost 75,000 miles. There was a scratch down low on the rear side part of the bumper where it looks like someone scraped it in a parking lot. Minor rock chips but not a lot. Interior wise I had a darkly stained right arm rest for the driver and slightly dark stain on door where i rested my arm when the window was open.

They didn't bother to check the car or perhaps they did while I was getting the paperwork done on the Clarity. They had a checklist to go through that you had to sign to make sure they got back key fobs and such. Didn't ask for the 110 volt charger and I didn't mention it nor did I bring it with me. If they did ask for it I would tell them I forgot it and bring it at a later date.

John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm 
Site Moderator

I turned in my Fit in December after 4-1/2 years (55K miles), also opting to move into a Clarity BEV. I loved the Fit, but it was getting a little long in the tooth and was missing a lot of tech, safety features, and creature comforts that are readily available these days. The novelty had worn off a little--but it was a fantastic car for a long time. No troubles I can think of other than the balky head unit/Bluetooth.
The Clarity is a better car in pretty much every way. Perhaps not quite as quick, but plenty of power. Marginally (but noticeably) better range. Much larger and much more comfortable. Near luxury interior with beautiful leather and a lot of little accoutrements: garage door opener link, sunglass holder, auto door unlock, electric parking brake, electric seat adjustment with 2 auto settings linked to the keys, Apple CarPlay, SiriusXM, etc. etc. Some excellent safety features, including adaptive cruise, right-side lane change camera, auto-braking, collision warning, etc. A little quirky in some ways, but really nice--and cheaper than the Fit. Although the insurance and maintenance are not included, I do not expect much maintenance on this car based on EV and Honda history. Factoring in the CA $2500 rebate and $1000 Honda allowance for being a Fit EV owner, my monthly payment will average $142 (including tax) for three years, which I think is an awesome deal for a car of this quality. I can squeeze 100 miles out of a charge, so the range easily works for my needs.
I averaged 5.2 miles/kWh in the Fit and am averaging 4.6 in the Clarity. Not bad for a car that is much bigger and heavier. The larger battery more than makes up for the drop in efficiency, so I would estimate the range at roughly 10% more.
I turned in the 110V charging cable and key fobs for my Fit, and I think I would have been charged for them had I not done so. The car was in very good condition with only minor, normal wear and tear. The fabric interior was not very sturdy IMHO. Because the Clarity is so nice, I do not miss the Fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:15 pm 

I agree with everything jackertracker had to say about the Fit and Clarity. It was my wife who had the hardest time switching from the Fit to Clarity, even though she didn't drive it much. She thought it was cute (the Clarity, not so much), it was part of the family, and she really didn't like the thought of it being scrapped by Honda. Kind of like animal cruelty or something...

John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm 
Site Moderator

jgardnernet wrote:
I agree with everything jackertracker had to say about the Fit and Clarity. It was my wife who had the hardest time switching from the Fit to Clarity, even though she didn't drive it much. She thought it was cute (the Clarity, not so much), it was part of the family, and she really didn't like the thought of it being scrapped by Honda. Kind of like animal cruelty or something...

:D Yes, I get that. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for that Fit. It was such a coup to get it in the first place, and was such a deal to boot! I think it provided a ton of really good data for Honda for future development of EVs. It was a great introduction to the world of EVs. I still see a number of them on the road in the LA area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm 

jackertracker wrote:
... and $1000 Honda allowance for being a Fit EV owner,

Was this something automatic, or did you need to do something to get it?

Our Fit is coming up on it's 5 year mark, and it may make sense to take a hard look at the Clarity before year end. I've driven the PHEV, but not yet tried the Electric.

2014 #262

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm 
Site Moderator

DucRider wrote:
jackertracker wrote:
... and $1000 Honda allowance for being a Fit EV owner,

Was this something automatic, or did you need to do something to get it?

Our Fit is coming up on it's 5 year mark, and it may make sense to take a hard look at the Clarity before year end. I've driven the PHEV, but not yet tried the Electric.

This is an offer to all Fit EV buyers. I got mine in December and don't have any reason to think that it has changed. I called and talked to Robert Langford (Manager, Plug-in Vehicle Sales) and he confirmed that it was only for the BEV and not for the PHEV.

I was really attracted to the PHEV because of the obvious range issues with the BEV. (Most of my driving would be within the 47-mile electric range of the PHEV.) But, the lease rates on the PHEV were far higher, with lower mileage caps (the BEV is 20K/year!).

In the end, it was a clear choice for me based on finances. I think the total expenditure for driving the BEV over 36 months was something like $4500, which was a far better deal than the PHEV. It bought me 3 more years of great transportation and the landscape will be far different when my lease is up. If I got the PHEV, I would probably have bought it, as leasing didn't make much sense, and I would have been compelled to keep it for far longer than 3 years.

The Electrics sold out at the end of December due to the great deal. I heard recently that the 2018's were coming out, but haven't seen any available. If you are interested, it might be like the Fit in that you should jump on it if you find one. I think they will be hard to get (but I could be wrong, of course).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:25 pm 

It is my understanding that the 2018 BEV is still hard to get. It may be getting better now but not sure. I got the $1000 loyalty reward toward a Clarity BEV from Honda Financial Services in April. That is what pushed me over the edge to get the Clarity. I went to look for one and all the 2017 models were gone. I also talked to Robert Langford and was told the 2018 models would be available in May. I'm in Portland so I put my name into the 4 Clarity BEV dealers here in Oregon. I got a call back from the Portland one in the middle of May that they just found out they were getting 1 in. I picked it up on May 16th. My salesman told me on the day I picked it up that their waiting list was at 10 and they had no information on when they would be getting anymore. I never did hear anything back from the other 3 dealers.

John